Home | About | Donate

Fascism: Can It Happen Here?

Fascism: Can It Happen Here?

Amy Goodman

“When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross,” goes a saying that is widely attributed to the first American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, Sinclair Lewis. In 1935, Lewis wrote a novel called “It Can’t Happen Here,” positing fascism’s rise in the United States. We were taught that fascism was defeated in 1945, with the surrender of Germany and Japan in World War II.

Trump is all the proof one needs to realize: IT IS HAPPENING HERE!

The country has a long history of racism and more recently there has been hate directed at Muslims and illegal immigrants from Mexico and some other countries to the south, Trump is using the hateful emotions in millions of Americans to build a strong political movement which is reminiscent of fascism in Europe. Those of us who see this as a threat need to speak out. Just like after 9-11 the US became a different country with heightened surveillance and intolerance something similar could happen after the election of Trump as president. Much of what happened after 9-11 has been reversed over time but that might not be possible if Trump win in November.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This fear campaign about Trump is to give voters the illusion that they'll be "fighting Fascism" by electing Hillary the Fascist ...

"Hitler had 37%" Just about the same as Lincoln received in his first term.

MoveOn.org has ties to George Soros, who is one of Hillary's biggest donors this year. That "demonstration" last Saturday in Chicago is more than a little suspicious, because of how they managed to "impugn" Sanders with ties to a group that will back Hillary in a heartbeat, but which somehow only displayed Sanders T-shirts in the crowd ...

I would add another five years to your "He's the product of the past 25 years of Clinton-Bush-Obama".

The formation of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) in 1985 marked the start of the full US duopoly wherein the mission of the Democratic Party narrowed to GETTING MORE CORPORATE CASH THAN THE GOP, thereby demonstrating the first stage of fascism: corporate control of government. 1986 tax "reform" (which Democrats continue to brag was bipartisan) was the most regressive tax reform in US history, greatly empowering corporations at the expense of the 99%.

Comparing US fascism to cancer, 1986 to Bill Clinton's 1993 inauguration was stage 1. What we are seeing in the current presidential primaries is stage 4 and you don't reverse stage 4 by electing one of the founders of the DLC.

If I may rant for a moment.

The collaborative efforts between the MSM and alternative media to thwart any in-depth regime change (where competitive financial interests take over) is at a minimum stunning. Here we have nearly all media outlets protecting the status quo..even OMG liberal ones scrambling to Save the GOP! The same status quo that continues to this minute to bomb and pillage the shit out of the world through it's 800+ bases, it's financial pit bull--Wall Street, and other miscellaneous proxies. They'll use whatever means possible: cartoons; bad hair & goofy photos; scarewee headlines; innuendo...all of it. It in itself is a rather dubious thing, even by Joe Goebbels standards. In fact, I'm not so sure we don't need an entirely new name for what this sh*t is. Right now even fascist seems rather mild a term if you ask me.

It's just a wonderful world this bunch has forced down our throats during the last few decades, huh? Wonder why so many folks might be, well..pissed off about things.

Funny, how the citizenry has been made to eat shit (and more of it) especially in recent years) and that the media have never been able to do anything about that. They're a great divider of people (and cash) though as they pluck & carve us up for din din every 2 and 4 years at the Great Harvest.

So, I guess what Amy & Friends are trying to say is this: Yeah, Trump's kind of change isn't gonna happen, pions. You're not gonna get health care, you're not gonna have peace, and our friends in the free market are gonna keep sending your jobs overseas and scamming you until you die (then they'll take the rest of it). Yes, the system sucks..but it's our system, and at the end of the day we love it and will protect our interests. Besides, we as journalists have special seats at the show and a certain level of comfort to protect. So, get out there and, well...fight each other, uh...you know.. for..er...democracy. Stay tuned, we'll be back later with some more ti-bits of Hope for 'ya....suckers.

Am I a Trump fanatic? Hell no. Does he say outrageous & stupid things. Of course. But these guys are defending the turf of those that have one long record of hideous & macabre events that far exceed anything a Donald Trump has done or ever could do. Clearly the man represents a real threat to the $tatu$ quo or you wouldn't be witnessing this kind of behavior by the media--main street or otherwise. What pisses me off is that they believe they know what's best. And if they do, and if what we are witnessing today in our everyday lives is the best they can do, then they need to go, too.

Could The Donald be the crazy man they all say he is? I guess he could. I mean, take a look around the country, it's quite f*cking crazy already. Anyway, should (he) make it to the top and f*ck up, then just remove him like they removed JFK, RFK, MLK...aiong with the rest.

I'm very disappointed in what I thought (at least wanted to think) was an independent side of the media. Now it's petty damn evident it's not. It's not at all.

If I may quote another Sinclair:
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Amen!

Is Amy Goodman for real? Does she really think ALL Americans are so stupid:? This article is an insult to the America intelligence and to every single person who comes to CommonDreams to share their ideas, opnions, and concern for this election.

Amy Goodman, what the hell do you think has been happening right under your nose for the past eight years+. Scalia warned that internment camps were right on our soil and if we didn't think it could happen again, think twice. How dare you insult American people this way. If you really want to do something worthwhile, expose the INTERNATIONAL PEDOPHILE SYNDICATE that the Obama-Bush-Clinton-Vatican-Israel junta is ringing the bells backwards for. No need for substantiation. This is all over the Internet. And Obama escalates drone strikes on Pakistan because their leader isn't onboard with their agenda?

And now, Hillary the mutated virus is coming in for the kill.

"No need for substantiation. This is all over the Internet."

Well, there you go then, I'm sure we're all convinced.

LBA.

Laughing By Acronym.

It's not Tromp. Hitler was not created in a vacuum. It is the dark underbelly of the American body politic and failure of political leadership...including Obama who could have meaningfully, for example, condemned torture and those who promoted it but didn't. The political violence, btw, exists in abundance on both ends of the political spectrum in the US. I have covered and reported on it.
amicuscuria.com/wordpress

Trump is a proponent of torture, secret prisons and the police state. He also matches with most of the tens steps to Fascism list below. I heard him say at a recent rally. he was the most militaristic person in the room. That sent a shiver down my spine.

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.

2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place.

3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.

4. Set up an internal surveillance system.

5. Harass citizens’ groups.

6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release.

7. Target key individuals.

8. Control the press.

9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors.

10. Suspend the rule of law.

Who needs Trump?
Citizens United, NDAA, TPP...

Trump is the perfect deflective foil stretching the envelope so the "status quo" (such a benign sounding appellation) has bit of a smoke screen to dig in ever deeper. Sort of the emperor's new modesty fig leaf.

Fascism has been here for a long time, but largely dormant. The right-wing program to unwind the gains from the New Deal has been working these past 30 years, and has now gone well beyond the original goals laid out in the Powell Memo.

What we're seeing here is the restorations and launch of Reich 3.1.

(And while it may come wrapped in the flag and carrying a bible, much of it is being smuggled into our society in the Kardashians' cleavage.)

I see Elizabeth Warren said today that we have to stop Trump. Too bad she couldn't see her way to endorse Sanders, the BEST way to Stop Trump. Real sincerity there ...

Sadly, the xenophobia and fear dictating the decisions of too, too many Americans, has remained and even intensified since. with catalysts such as the continuation of extraordinary rendition, wars of choice abroad (where "the brown people dwell," and Obama's elections serving to "legitimize" it.