Home | About | Donate

FBI Demands Apple Grant Power To Hack All iPhone Users

FBI Demands Apple Grant Power To Hack All iPhone Users

Kevin Gosztola

Apple says the FBI has proposed an “unprecedented use” of one of the oldest laws in the United States to force the company to hack its own users.

On February 16, a federal magistrate judge ordered Apple to help the FBI hack into the San Bernardino shooter’s phone.

All citizens agree the government should be able to have certain information for investigations, like the data of a dead violent criminal. But it is in moments like this when the government can exploit consensus to obtain power the government does not and should not have.

Time to renew those donations to EFF.

Anyone who uses Microsoft Word has to feel that this program is up to tricks

It's amazing how often it stops a writer from writing so that some mandatory "update" takes place. Some of these take more than 15 minutes.

What OTHER machine requires such frequent updates?

I think these are mandatory DOWNLOADS of users' data and information.

I hate Microsoft almost as much as I hate Monsanto. The intrusions made by today's corporate overlords into peoples' minds, bodies, livelihoods, environments, and liberties is mind-boggling.

Years ago I wrote a comedy routine and the stand-up comedian makes this last statement before leaving the stage:

"Hey, we've got free cell-phone implants for the first 15 to sign up. You've been a great audience..."

This was written in 1997.

Can't the CONTENTS of the phone's drive in it's encrypted state be downloaded and then decrypted & read via a new process - special location which contains the decryption - no-one else can get to that location ? I realize that Apple has said they have to WRITE new software for that OR for disabling the piece that prevents more password attempts - then the FBI could throw millions of passwords at it and crack it themselves. I think that Apple is standing up for what it considers the RIGHTS of their customers & themselves, not really trying to find a unique way to help the FBI - lots of great free press for them BUT - who knows they may be actually helping the FBI behind the scenes anyway !!!

Microsoft sells for $150. I got a copy for $100 on Black Friday. Since Laptops now last 2-3 years and writers (like myself) must use a program like Microsoft in order to submit manuscripts, essentially, we are forced to pay Bill Gates for the download every time one of these built-for-obsolescence machines "gives up its ghost."

I have a file for a short story (or ideally, a lawsuit) entitled, "Is Bill Gates Trying To Drive Me Crazy?"

I've talked to people randomly (all women) and they hate it as much as I do. Ditto, At & T and its "service."

My point is that if I didn't need the damned thing, I wouldn't use it. I got a pirate copy of some similar program purchased on Ebay from a Canadian software outfit.

When I print from that program it is not lined up in the same way that it is from Microsoft.

Like many writers (thousands each year submit scripts to a variety of contests), I have always hoped to sell a movie script and the format is VERY specific.

Our Constitution has long been our problem --
Written by Founders/slave owners, it is a schizophrenic Constitution which -- while proclaiming "all are equal" --
actually established an elite patriarchy which they then endowed with land grants and gave only them the right to vote.

This also included giving them immense influence over our government, its wealth and natural resources -- and
other human beings according to various myths of "inferiority." Our government's alliance with slave owners
and the system of slavery ensured the Civil War -- it was an immoral decision based in private profit for the few.

And we have continued on thusly ever since.

(I think this post is in the wrong place)

Apple.
I have no problems with the mac and was glad to ditch the pc.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

max --

Depends on which foot the reductionist lands -
Yours is a male foot and therefore you benefit from the Constitution --
The Bill of Rights didn't include an Equal Rights Amendment for females --
Nor did it deliver Africans here from slavery and genocide --
Nor Native Americans here from enslavement and genocide.--
Nor did it give anyone but propertied males the vote --

. . . at the time it was written, that is --

How long did it take to end the system of slavery -- a few hundred years --
plus another 100 years of Segregation.
Amendments to the Bill of Rights could not reduce the pain, suffering, evil
under which so many lived.

Native Americans where they survive are still subjected to betrayal and theft,
violence by the US government --
We still have members of Congress dedicated to taking anything whatsoever
the Native American has --
Females are still waiting for an ERA --

And African-Americans continue to be abused in every way possible with what
seems to be approval of our government, courts -
They continue to be denied education - employment -- appropriate housing -
quality foods. They are herded from their schools almost directly into our
prisons which have been counter-reformed to provide for cruel punishment rather
than rehabilitation. They tell us of torture in our prisons -- and isolation reaching
a level of torture. It seems that every effort is also made by our government to
create as much difficulty as possible for their families to visit them and/or to
give them emotional support and comfort.

Conquerors do not deliver anyone to a "promised land" -- and we are still in the
same gene pool today.

This is a different history from that taught in our schools -- or that acclaimed
by our leaders and press without a blush.

Think these posts are in the wrong thread ...

Which is it max .... ???

AND

Not in the least! I'm a Canadian. Your "feminist" analysis leave way too much
to be desired. Do get out more.

I stopped updating at MS Office 2003.

It has the features I need; no need to update. My disk installs the programs fine, and licenses for the software can be purchased on-line for $20-30.