Home | About | Donate

FCC Commissioner Begs Nation to Stop Her Colleagues From Killing Net Neutrality

FCC Commissioner Begs Nation to Stop Her Colleagues From Killing Net Neutrality

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Jessica Rosenworcel says it's time to "roar" and "make a ruckus" to save the internet as we know it

Whatever it takes, this censorship and greed must be stopped!

If we loose this it will yet be another loss of our rights. A take-over by the “state”. Another block laid down in building the authoritarian state. We are loosing America at an alarming rate. The right to a free and open internet is the right to free speech. If we loose this we may loose Commondreams and others. I have a website that I know will be slowed down just from it’s content. My loss if free speech. I have written john mccain an email, I yelled at him. I do not want to say good-bye to America.

Well, Trump ran on doing just what the FCC is planning to do.

Is it possible to get past blaming Trump and see that this is a bi-partisan issue? Obama appointed Pai in the first place!!! This is Verizon, Comcast dictating policy, and since they fund both corrupt parties, the fight is with that money and corporate corruption. Getting rid of Trump is not the solution to the problem. Our one-party corporate-owned system is the problem.

I’ve spent most of the day screaming to all the sites I visit and Common Dreams is my last one a hope that someting can be done to halt the takeover by big business all we hold dear. The thug Aji Pai has been a corporate tool even before he was appointed chair of the FCC, he cares not a whit for the public users of government subsidies for the poor to have access. I waited until 2014 to plug in, see Obama enact neutrality and now may watch the net’s demise after just a few short years of real information. I don’t know what else to do to fight against this machine that’s crushing the people that live under it’s thumb. Let your Representative and Senators know what’s at stake and if not vote them the hell out next year, it’s the only small voice we have left. Please.

Corrupt politicians stole/sold the airwaves that should belong to the people for pennies on the dollar!

Now other corrupt politicians, using the Ejit Pai as front man/boy, are trying to sell/give away the internet to the highest bidder - screw the public -another theft from the people gifted to the rich and powerful by other rich and powerful men (mostly, although look around - there are women who will sell us all out, lie, and steal just as fast!)

“Ok ok I got a simple question that I’d like to ask of this network/ That pays you for performing this task/ How come they got the airwaves? They’re the peoples aren’t they? Wouldn’t they be worth 70 billion to the public today? If some money-grubbin Congress didn’t give them away for big campaign money? It’s hopeless you see/ If you’re runnin for office with out no TV/If you don’t get big money/ You get a defeat/ Corporations and broadcasters make you dead meat/ You been taught in this country there’s speech that is free/ But free don’t get you no spots on TV/If you want to have senators not on the take/ Then give them free air time/ They won’t have to fake/ Telecommunications is the name of the beast/that, that, that, that, that’s eating up the world from the west to the east/ The movies, the tabloids, TV and magazines/ they tell us what to think and do/ And all our hopes and dreams/ All this information makes America phat/ But if the company’s outta the country/ How American is that? But we got Americans with families that can’t even buy a meal/ Ask a brother who’s been downsized if he’s getting any deal/ Or a white boy bustin ass til they put him in his grave/ He ain’t gotta be a black boy to be livin like a slave/ Rich people have always stayed on top by dividing white people from colored people/ but white people got more in common with colored people then they do with rich people”

Senator Jay Billington Bulworth

Monday is cyber Monday; perhaps mass boycotting internet sales on Monday will get their attention.

You do realize that the FCC is a bipartisan commission, right? Five commissioners, with three from the president’s party and two from the other. Pai was recommended to fill a Republican slot on the commission by Senate Republicans. In other words, that’s who they approved to seat on the commission.

As to my other point:

And, here’s this nice piece of legislation sponsored by good ‘ole Mike Pence:

This is a Republican thing and a Trump thing. Obama’s FCC approved net neutrality, Trump’s is removing it. I shouldn’t be surprised anymore at progressives who can’t see what’s obvious.

December 7. Outside Verizon stores.

it all comes down to $$$… Trampism is the new reality…

Meanwhile in our demagocracy:

NY Attorney General Schneiderman estimated that hundreds of thousands of Americans’ identities were stolen and used in spam campaigns that support repealing net neutrality. My research found at least 1.3 million fake pro-repeal comments, with suspicions about many more. In fact, the sum of fake pro-repeal comments in the proceeding may number in the millions. In this post, I will point out one particularly egregious spambot submission, make the case that there are likely many more pro-repeal spambots yet to be confirmed, and estimate the public position on net neutrality in the “organic” public submissions.¹
Key Findings:²
One pro-repeal spam campaign used mail-merge to disguise 1.3 million comments as unique grassroots submissions.
There were likely multiple other campaigns aimed at injecting what may total several million pro-repeal comments into the system.
It’s highly likely that more than 99% of the truly unique comments³ were in favor of keeping net neutrality.

Well, the people did not elect a fascist dictator who could do whatever the hell he wanted. We elect representatives who are supposed to represent the people over the corporate people and over the wealthy elite takers. Trump and the rest of our public servants in our government need to be reminded of that very important fact.

I take it you didn’t see my response to another poster:

What I find hilarious is that the clearly uninformed comment I responded to got 15 “likes.” Not sure what to make of progressives so willing to reject reality in favor of their own it’s-all-one-party myth or whatever such baloney, especially on this issue.

I am down with your last paragraph especially and I see the only caveat is the premise of ‘informed’ news products. I will give some lenience to those not able to discern those sources noting the scarceness of sources but the fact that a lot of folks feel that we only have one party is worrisome at best. So much subterfuge that it’s totally scary now. “Unfuck the World”

Again, Trump is horrible and without a doubt so is Pence but if you are going to talk about reality…

With the exception of Carr, Obama initially nominated all of the commissioners, including now Chairperson Pai. Trump re-nominated Rosenworcel, for the Democratic seat but also considered nominating her for the Republican seat for which Carr received confirmation. Tell us how the fact that the FCC is a “bipartisan” commission means anything…or that there is this great chasm you claim there is between the two parties?

This is a seriously dumb argument, no offense. Here’s the law (47 USC §154(b)(5)):

“(5) The maximum number of commissioners who may be members of the same political party shall be a number equal to the least number of commissioners which constitutes a majority of the full membership of the Commission.”

Are you saying Obama should’ve refused to permit the FCC to operate? Pai was recommended by Republican Senators, Mitch McConnell specifically. He worked for the Judiciary Committee at one point. At that time, the filibuster on executive branch appointments was not lifted. That didn’t happen until after Tom Wheeler was appointed in November of 2013. You are blaming Obama—whose FCC passed net neutrality— for a job he’s required to do under the law.

Trump now has more flexibility than Obama did because his party holds the majority and executive branch appointments are no longer subject to filibuster. Obama was working well within the confines of longstanding tradition when he made Pai’s appointment at the behest of Senate Republicans.

To Save Internet They Helped Create, Web Pioneers Demand FCC Cancel Net Neutrality Vote
FCC Chair Ajit Pai 'Shows Just How Dumb He Thinks Americans Are' With Video Mocking Net Neutrality

That’s a productive way to start a discussion.

I wasn’t blaming Obama. I was simply stating a fact about the people he nominated. I did, however, make a mistake in saying that Trump was considering nominating Rosenworcel for a Republican seat. It was instead a simultaneous nomination of Rosenworcel and Carr.

We all make mistakes, as I did calling your argument “dumb.” Perhaps legally uninformed might have been better maybe? I mean, if the minority leader says we’ll agree not to filibuster your appointees if you put our guy on the commission, I don’t know how else to describe things though. Obama was fulfilling his legal duties to keep the commission operating and was doing so well-within 80-year tradition at the time. Sure, he could’ve said “no,” but Mitch would’ve just gone down his list of reactionaries or filibustered the FCC into a quorumless entity at the time.

Obama’s FCC approved net neutrality. Tom Wheeler, a lobbyist by profession, pushed it through. Isn’t that good? I just don’t see why you’d blame him for what Pai is doing now unless you spin fantasies to find a way to blame him, or Democrats.

Mr. Dotcom has an alternative to the internet; so, bye bye internet and hello Mr. Dotcom. One problem, seems the Deep State American Government wants Mr. Dotcom extradited from New Zealand to the U.S. on copyright infringement charges. It seems Mr. Dotcom is making people nervous. Deep State.