Home | About | Donate

FDA Sued for Failure to Regulate Deadly Bacteria in Raw Oysters

FDA Sued for Failure to Regulate Deadly Bacteria in Raw Oysters

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) should stop dragging its feet and act on a four-year-old petition urging the agency to regulate deadly bacteria in shellfish harvested in Gulf Coast waters and sold for raw consumption, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) told a federal court in a lawsuit filed late Wednesday with the help of Public Citizen attorneys.

###

“The technology to eliminate or reduce V. vulnificus while preserving the texture and flavor of raw oysters is readily available. What’s missing is the FDA’s resolve to do something meaningful about this public health hazard.” now I believe what is being referred to here is a mixture of several viruses that will be applied to the product. Personally I would like to see where the money trail goes. Since the FDA has also proclaimed that GMO products are safe.....even thought the WHO recently suggested that the pesticide used with them is 'probably a carcinogen" . I would like to see what is being recommended.