Home | About | Donate

Fearing Trump Censorship Trump, Govt. Scientists Leak Alarming Climate Report

Fearing Trump Censorship Trump, Govt. Scientists Leak Alarming Climate Report

Julia Conley, staff writer

A leaked draft of an extensive federal climate change report is causing alarm on Tuesday—both because of its findings, which make clear that the U.S. is currently experiencing the effects of climate change, and because of statements by the report's authors, who say they're concerned President Donald Trump will try to suppress the paper.

A leaked draft of an extensive federal climate change report is causing alarm on Tuesday—
both because of its findings, which make clear that the U.S. is currently experiencing the effects
of climate change, and because of statements by the report’s authors, _who say they’re concerned _
President Donald Trump will try to suppress the paper.

Why not … W, of course, was censoring what our scientists were saying of Global Warming.

Citizens have to begin to think of acting in self-defense against Elites and capitalists – always
non-violently.

As we can see, the power of “science and scientists” has been greatly weakened.
And, of course, our free press was disappeared long ago – but I’ll remind us all that the intent
there was not only to provide information to the public, but to envision solutions for discussion
and to move the public to action.

Another sad reminder is that our scientists’ estimation of the impact of Global Warming on the
planet, animal-life and humanity was way into the future by at the least hundreds of years . . .
until within 16 years they realized they were standing in slush as the Glaciers were actually
melting.

I’d also remind us all that there was a 50 year gap in our actually beginning to feel the effects
of Global Warming. In other words, we are now only beginning to feel the effects of the harm
done to Nature and the Planet up to about 1967.

I would not discount either the harm done by Atomic weapons and nuclear tests in the atmosphere
and below ground carried out after WWII.

As a woman from the Bikini Islands observed as residents of that island were being removed for
US testing of atomic weapons …

“Americans are really smart about really dumb things.”

I say, Bravo! to the scientist that risked so much to get the word out.

I deeply thank my colleagues in these vital agencies for getting this report out.

May a thousand leaks bloom forth!

This will give Sessions something to go after when he is not busy conversing with Russians. We faced basically the same type of government censorship over global warming by George W. Bush and Canada faced it with Harper and Australia with Howard. Getting back to the US, despite this censorship on global warming by Republicans at the federal level and in many case at the state level as well we see well-nformed citizens claiming they cannot see the difference between Republicans and Democrats. Really! What in the world it take?

What Aaron Swartz said about censorship, secrecy and privatization of knowledge, that may have caused his suicide:

https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt

Lrz –

Getting back to the US, despite this censorship on global warming by Republicans at the
federal level and in many case at the state level as well we see well-nformed citizens claiming
they cannot see the difference between Republicans and Democrats. Really! What in the world it take?

These are very minor differences intended to encourage the public to think that there are meaningful
differences between the parties. However, both parties are owned by the same Koch Bros. and the
same large corporations with the same intent. This is a game of good cop/bad cop they play to keep
people voting and the illusion that they have some power over these corrupt and criminal officials alive.

Recall that Obama in his landslide (where the GOP was basically finished) then proceeded to
resurrect the GOP to begin playing the game over again.

During the Carter Administration when Democrats held the Presidency, the Senate and the House…
Sen. George Mitchell turned the keys to the Senate over to Minority Leader, Sen. Bob Dole.

It’s a game both parties play to fool the public.
But as we can see, decade after decade, since the coup on JFK, the Congress and our nation have only
been moved to the right – to fascism.

Neither party is objecting to that – and especially not the Democrats … even Sanders who seems more
concerned with his paycheck than with standing against these forces outside of the corrupt Democratic
Party.

Neither Democratic Representatives nor Senators are walking about from these corrupt and treasonous
national parties –

Nor, admitting to the reality of a rigged Electoral system where voting on hack-able electronic computers
for more than 50 years now has delivered the lie of a right wing majority.

The reality is that American voters are being ignored by both parties – and that we have absolutely NO
leverage or control over our representatives currently in office.

Nor have we had control over those put forward by corporations/Elites to run for office – it’s a pathway
blocked by money.

Meanwhile, Nero fiddles…

He is focused on other things like making a “killing” in Afghanistan from other peoples minerals. This news will only mean that he needs to speed up the rape of Mother Earth. Proof positive that to be human one must earn the distinction.

Total non cooperation for peace, justice and to aid Mother Earth!

I’m so happy that this important report was leaked. That said, I don’t see Industrial Civilization changes its/our ways soon. As far as the lag time between carbon emissions and maximum heating–many climate scientists place it between one decade to twenty five years. So, I believe the mention of 50 years is a bit too conservative. Katharine Ricke from Carnegie University wrote a paper that points to ten years as being the magic number. It’s hard to say. I would love to get my hands on the 500+ page document!

“Americans are really smart about really dumb things.”

Experts on sports teams and movies. That pretty much covers it.

Lysenkoism. Ever hear of it, my friends?

Well said. Now, if you’ll excuse me… I’m off to watch “Survivor.” :wink:

Thank you for a thoughtful first post, which I liked. But wanted to supply at least one quote on the subject you touched upon here.

“If a stranger batters your door down with an axe, threatens your family and yourself with deadly weapons, and proceeds to loot your home of whatever he wants, he is committing what is universally recognized — by law and morality — as a crime. In such a situation the householder has both the right and the obligation to defend himself, his family, and his property by whatever means are necessary. This right and this obligation is universally recognized, justified and even praised by all civilized human communities. Self-defense against attack is one of the basic laws not only of human society but of life itself, not only of human life but of all life.”

—Edward Abbey

Minor differences? Believing in climate change and taking action and denying it even exists is a minor difference? It could be the difference between survival and collapse of civilization. Between a continued human existence in the billions and a massive population collapse. Between survival of the large majority of species for many centuries and a mass extinction wiping out more than half of species during the next 100 years. I would say the difference between the parties is not minor but tremendous. Yes both parties accept money from corporations but the parties are still very different. The good cop and bad cop thing is in your mind. It is not out there in reality. There is no game. That is also only in your mind.

The Truth is that Trump is too self-absorbed to have any well developed personal assessment as to why he is so rabidly against government scientist using climate related terms like climate change and global warming. It’s very simple really. Russia gets much of its funding from its petroleum wealth. Putin doesn’t want the consumption of these resources to diminish in any way so our Russian friendly President wants to help keep petroleum product consumption to continue as our main US power source.

Of course, the tide is running against this effort, but delaying any sizable change in markets for at least the next four years will be more profitable, with our president’s assistance.

Hi chap –

Generations have been taught that TRIVIA is more important than world affairs.

I think that replaced: “In polite society we don’t discuss politics or religion” …

Just want to correct the quote which should read:
“Americans are really smart about really stupid things.”

:slight_smile:

justbreathe –

Thank you –

. . . it has been very much more difficult for the public to understand the mortal threat we
face when it comes at us more slowly than someone with an ax.

And, as well, the motivation of those who embrace violence and suicidal exploitation is too
often thought to be mere stupidity because that kind of thinking is foreign to most of us.

The immoral and suicidal exploitation of Nature and Humanity that we see in Global Warming,
denial of National Health Care for All, Big Pharma’s side effects which bring such great harm and
death, Geo-engineering in our skies which rains down upon us and all animal-life, earth …

And, of course, the fervor for wars, nuclear reactors, vaccines …

I don’t think it is far from their minds to bring Civil War to the US and it seems clear from earlier
attempts that they would like to base it in a race war.

But the reckless behavior we are seeing which returns new threats to us from North Korea is
immediate and suicidal and a threat to us all.

It is hard to suggest that we should care that our own lives here could be under threat of war
when our corrupt government has warred on so many and behaved so immorally in regard to
so many nations … without our citizens reacting physically to stop it.

I am writing my sadness and my tears, but I also understand that many would rather leave the
planet than be involved in war here. And that the world is based in families and loved ones
and young children who we try to protect.

Lrx –

It is a MINOR difference proven by the fact that though the Obama and the DP did
very little about Global Warming.

Put another way, what they did was meaningless.

Our opportunity to respond to Global Warming came in the late 1950’s and during the
JFK administration and movement went in that direction – also including the impetus
given by Rachel Carson/Silent Spring and Earth Day movements.

But it was quickly ended by the coup on JFK where certainly the oil industry’s interests
were represented and the takeover of the Earth movement by corporations.
But very definitely by corrupting every area of government.

Or are you also in denial that we have total corruption of the American government at
every level by Elites?

Hi Greenwich-
Curious that trivia is more important (can’t have a population that’s too educated; no wonder college is increasingly more expensive).
Right: We don’t discuss the two topics that likely have more to do with society than any others. Guess that leaves sports and movies, and the inconsequential like.

Bravo, 13 scientists! You are my heroes. Seems the only way I can get information I paid for is from “leakers”. Science is Donald Trump’s bogyman. He is afraid of it because he is too dense to understand it. Too bad for him. Science and other facts have a way of sneaking up on people and biting them in their behinds.