Home | About | Donate

Federal Campaign to Save Monarch Fails to Address Root Cause of Decline

It won't be long before corporations and commercial enterprises figure out how to make huge profits off of dying and near extinction species.

Not only does this campaign fail to address the root cause of the impending extinction, but it is woefully inadequate. 200,000 acres is about the size of Indianapolis. Is the idea to plant this much area in milkweed from Texas to Canada? A tiny ribbon of milkweed habitat? And the 750 habitats in schoolyards must be some type of joke; I guess the Fish and Wildlife Service reckons theses millions of butterflies will be using GPS to locate theses widely spaced corners of playgrounds and congregate there in a plague of flutter. Realistically, the only hope Monarchs have is for milkweed to become resistant to Roundup (glyphosate), which in fact is happening and farmers are having to apply higher and higher concentrations of this herbicide which also increases the chemical seep into our groundwater, rivers, lakes and oceans. Of course Monarchs are also be subject to ingesting glyphosate residues left on this next generation of hardier milkweed plants and who knows what effect this will have on the delicate creatures. Better to keep the $3.2 million than throwing it away like this.

$3.2 Million - lets see, that is enough to employ and provide travel budgets and office and lab needs for about 5 biologists for a year or so.

It is also the money that a corporate CEO makes in a few days - and sometimes in a few minutes when his stocks go up.

Does Obama take us for fucking idiots? Doe he really thing that bragging about this pittance will make us think he is serious about saving an animal species from extinction?

To recognize the real root cause, learn the size of the world's population that can be sustained by organic farming. It's definitely not 7+ billion --- maybe 1/10th of that figure. The Monarch butterfly is beautiful but is going to be just another victim of our zeal to reproduce. Eventually, (possibly sooner than later) we will fall victim to that zeal, too. And praying won't help. Curtail human breeding by whatever means necessary. We are too successful at breeding.

"... learn the size of the world's population that can be sustained by organic farming. It's definitely not 7+ billion --- maybe 1/10th of that figure."

Utterly false, blatant propaganda.

Lots of research demonstrates that organic and agroecological agriculture out-produces chemical-industrial commodity agriculture. Any interested reader can run a web search for FAO + agroecology, or Rodale + comparative study, or GRAIN + Via Campesina, for links to research and reports that show your assertion about the relative productivity of organic and agroecological agriculture versus chemical-industrial commodity agriculture is preposterous.

Aside from the very obvious cascading ecological disaster that is touched on in the above article, the primary thing that chemical-industrial commodity farming produces more of relative to agroecological farming, is the amount of corporate profit extracted from the centrally-controlled food system.

It takes a lot more human labor to work the land sustainably rather than extractively; to build and maintain thriving healthy soil ecosystems rather than strip the soil and dis-integrate the webs of life; to produce a wide variety of foods for local and regional human consumption rather than produce massive amounts of industrial mono-crops for CAFOs, biofuels, and fractionated processed junk foods. Et cetera.

We need millions more people working in food production; we need millions of acres of productive land that are sitting in lawn returned to agriculture; and we need policy and infrastructure that support distributive, non-centralized agroecology, biodiversity; we need equitable distribution of land and food.

And yes we need to ramp down human population - never in the history of life on Earth has there been anything remotely approaching the vast over-population of a large top predator relative to the totality of living species as there is now with the grossly unbalanced human population - but that is entirely not related to your smear against healthy agricultural practices and in support of precisely the devastating chemical-industrial commodity practices that are outlined in the article!

The gist and impact of your argument is to serve as propaganda in support of continuing the centralized corporate commodity extractivism that is dis-integrating the ecology.

Well no shit!

First you have to explain to people what a butterfly is. That is because they have never seen one. Then if you can convince them that these creatures do exist, then you have to explain to them why they need saving.

Then because these people have been so under educated these past twenty to thirty years you have to explain the circle of life to them. And then, you have to try to convince them that there is not some bearded white dude sitting in the sky and that he will not make everything alright by just snapping his fingers and make everything ok…… if we all just have faith and pray a little harder.

Hey! I have way too many friends who think like this. Face it! We are screwed.

However, as I see in one post here.....I say yes....to spending a lots and lots of money on educating about the what a butterfly is. That being just one of the pollinators that makes the food you eat possible.

a huge part of the problem with our ecosystem dying off is the ongoing weather manipulations programs such as SAG stratospheric aerosol geoengineering, SRM solar radiation management, HAMP hurricane aerosol metaphysics program, HAARP high frequency active auroral research program. these are all being carried out with the utmost secrecy & lack of oversight by anyone. there is no disclosure on the affects of these programs, or that they even are being used. it's so obvious tho, all a person has to do it look up in the sky & see the massive every expanding trails the jets leave, spraying aluminum nano particulates, barium & strontium to help "cool" the planet & "remove" cO2. if they are doing such good & positive work, why is there denial on all levels anything is happening. normal condensation trails disappear behind the jets very quickly, and turbo jets produce no trails at all. some days there are no trails at all, but 2 jets flying the same altitude, one will leave trails the other won't, so i don't believe it's a "science class" debate. i've seen days when the sunlight was totally prevented from reaching us, and the vitamin d we need. do some research, just google geoengineering.

The Monarch butterfly wakes from hibernation in February or March, mates, flies north and east for a month or two, where the female lays her eggs on the milkweed plant then dies. The eggs mature to larvae, pupae and once again butterflies. Two generations later the butterflies are now as far north as Minnesota and Canada where in September or October the remarkable fourth generation is born. This generation migrates south and west for several months till they reach the same trees in California and Mexico of their grandparents four generations removed. Here they sleep in great butterfly chandeliers till February. Caliban spoke of them in the Tempest:

Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices,
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me; that, when I waked,
I cried to dream again.