Home | About | Donate

Federal Court Cites Need to 'Save the People From Autocracy' as It Rejects Trump Effort to Hide Financial Records

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/11/federal-court-cites-need-save-people-autocracy-it-rejects-trump-effort-hide

2 Likes

I used to think this was a waste of time and a distraction, but now I am damned curious.
SHOW THE TAXES! (Or lack thereof)

4 Likes

As if the Federalist Society-dominated courts are “saving the people from autocracy.” What a joke.

2 Likes

I’d be very interested to know on what the single dissenting opinion is based.

3 Likes

It is breathtaking in its stupidity:

In her dissent, Rao said: “Investigations of impeachable offenses simply are not, and never have been, within Congress’s legislative power.”

“Throughout our history, Congress, the President, and the courts have insisted upon maintaining the separation between the legislative and impeachment powers of the House and recognized the gravity and accountability that follow impeachment,” Rao wrote.

“Allowing the Committee to issue this subpoena for legislative purposes would turn Congress into a roving inquisition over a co-equal branch of government.”

3 Likes

Naomi Rao in dissent — paying back Trump and Mitch.

She was likely Moscow Mitch’s most controversial judicial nominees, next to Brett Kavanaugh, whom she replaced.

4 Likes

She may be right about that, but we’re talking about Congress’s investigative power. Congress can investigate any damn thing it wants to.

3 Likes

I just read (slogged through) her dissent. It is what I would describe as a “kitchen sink” of a dissent.

Her primary reason for dissent is the separations between the legislative powers and the impeachment powers of Congress.

She contends that the House subpoena of Mazars is focused on potential criminal behaviors and therefore warrants investigation through an impeachment process and that using the legislative power of subpoena does not hold.

She basically contends that Congress cannot use the power of legislation to investigate possible wrongdoing. They must use the power of impeachment.

1 Like

Many brave patriots have brought us to this place we are in right now. We must all be brave and support their efforts, their sacrifices.

The truth being revealed. Revel in it’s glory.

1 Like

Well, they’re saving us from OVERT autocracy, while the Powers That Be use their puppets in the
DNC, MSM & RNC to continue to gradually destroy what little remains of our individual rights and freedoms.  Ten or twelve autocrats will control every detail of everyone’s lives by 2084 — Orwell’s prediction being fulfilled only 100 years too late.

Congress will also need ALL of Trump’s – and his family’s (including Jared Kushner’s) – financial records from January, 2017 forward to determine the extent of their violations of the Emoluments Clause of the U.S. constitution.   IMHO, EVERY DIME that has been paid into ANY of Trump’s hotels, golf courses, resorts, etc., etc., should be assumed to have been a bribe, confiscated, and placed in the U.S. Treasury.  Any and all operating expenses and other losses paid out by said businesses since January, 2017 (assuming they didn’t follow usual practices and stiff their debtors) should simply be considered punitive damages and NOT be deducted from the moneys confiscated.

4 Likes

Pardon me if I seem obtuse, but I fail to see how the power to call witnesses and compel testimony is NOT “investigative” down to its boot heels. Well, it won’t be the first time that such sophistry has been advanced to serve government by fiat (see also “money=speech” and “corporations=people”)

I agree, and fortunately the majority of the 3 judges who heard the case did too.

It seems like her issue is with the actual premise which was used in the subpoena for the tax documents.

1 Like

And then there’s this analysis:

In an appeal of President Trump’s effort to block congressional subpoenas aimed at forcing an accounting firm to disclose records about him or his businesses, the D.C. Circuit (over a dissent) says Congress can subpoena whatever it darn well pleases.

1 Like

Just wondering who in the hell is paying for all of this legal work of numerous law firms to protect the despicable orange man ? Appeal after appeal to delay what everyone knows. This sob needs impeached now ! Let the asshole republicans go on the record to not impeach the criminal orange man. See how that works out for them.

1 Like

And here we see the first signs of what a treat the judges appointment by the Idiot-In-Chief will be in future rulings. This judge who voted for trump should be removed from the bench as it is obvious that she’s clueless about the laws…or willfully ignorant of them.

1 Like