Home | About | Donate

Few Democrats Offer Alternatives to War-Weary Voters

Few Democrats Offer Alternatives to War-Weary Voters

Jeff Cohen

Chants of “No More War” from delegates at the 2016 Democratic National Convention gave voice to sentiments that still resonate through the base of the party and the broad U.S. public, notably in communities with higher rates of military sacrifice.

US Militarism and the National Security State has all but absolute control over the Government in the United States of America. It might as well be a military dictatorship.

No less then 30 of the new crop of candidates for the House of Representatives running for the Democrats have backgrounds in the CIA or US Military. This group advocates increased Military spending , more wars abroad and outnumbers those so called “progessive democrats”.

Also, the majority of “progressive” Dims are either silent on international affairs or outright imperialists – including Progressive In Chief BS (who wasn’t always a vociferous supporter of (selected) international wars against the peoples of the world.

Persons who declare themselves as Anti-war should be embarrassed casting their ballot for a Democrat. One Nancy Kaptur has been railing on as to how Russia “meddled in US elections” calling for an increase in sanctions against Russia. A few days later she is signing a letter bemoaning the fact that the US is cutting funding to opposition groups in Hungary and that the US should be doing more to ensure a proper Government elected in Hungary.

It fucking pathetic.

This piece should be required reading for all candidates and people who identify as Democrats. It shows the extreme limits of affiliating with a Permanent War party. One of those limits is that Permanent War against humanity and the biosphere itself require domestic austerity.

All those wonderful domestic programs proposed by the Dims are fated to never see the light of day, go down the tubes in the Kongressional meat grinder or get watered down to PR documents if they do make their way through.

No less then 30 of the new crop of candidates for the House of Representatives running for the Democrats have backgrounds in the CIA or US Military. This group advocates increased Military spending , more wars abroad…

And so you’ve nailed the essence of the DNC’s upcoming #McResistance to Republican evil. Meanwhile, Party dupes will blindly cheer these militarists on the grounds that they parrot the correct things when it comes to Identity Politics.

Go, Team! uber alles.

What more proof does one need? Amerika is not a democracy; it has been and is a military dictatorship that is backed by both Con…gressional war criminal… parties!

As long as there is major profit in war, there will ALWAYS be war. Unfortunately, I see no changes in that on the horizon.
Just as long as there is profit in the “pay-for-healthcare” system, the same holds true.
At least until “We the People” get a true voice. But the people have been given laryngitis by the profit-makers over them.

Seriously, how many voters care about foreign policy when it comes to voting unless the US is engaged in wars like those in Vietnam or Iraq. From what I have seen so far the Democrats are most focused on expanding healthcare coverage. That seems to be the number one issue for Democrats in this election. Of course in blue states or blue districts opposition to Trump is a major part of campaigns. So I think Democrats believe most voter who are likely to vote Democrat are concerned particularly about their person economic situation, especially with regard to healthcare, and having a fascist for a president. .

Yowza, that’s disgusting! Are you really saying opposing war doesn’t matter as long as Democrats win? I guess that’s like saying rape doesn’t matter as long as Barty-boy gets confirmed.

Few Democrats offer alternatives, period. Alternatives on economics, foreign policy, healthcare, the environment, or anything else. The lack of actual alternatives is why, when they get power, they don’t change anything and things continue to get worse. We need structural changes, they have no interest in any structural changes, have no vision.

Ever hear of Pete Peterson? Billionaire, recently passed away. Spent the last few decades of his life trying to dismantle Social Security and Medicare, tried to get young people to believe that the programs wouldn’t be there for him when they were older. Pelosi went on the House floor, few months ago, and did a tribute to him. She didn’t have to, but she did, lauded him as a patriot and said that he was important as far as pushing the importance of “fiscal responsibility”. That is code word for economically illiterate people that support austerity. Pelosi has showed how fucking ignorant she is on stuff like deficits and has said that her rotten party will commit to “pay go” if she gets power. She also proudly supported spending billions more on the military. Now, given the composition of those in government, what does that mean on actual policy? Obviously, austerity, cuts to vital programs. Positive Money did a poll of British politicians on things like money creation and monetary policy. The poll found that well over 80% of those polled had no idea how that stuff worked. And those idiots are the ones creating policy. The same is undoubtedly true here in the US among politicians. Forget the fact that our government has supported dozens of coups, dictatorships, murderous dictators, which has cost millions their lives. There is an economic cost, and horrible, empty, soulless people like Pelosi are aware of the fact that when she supports pay go, and increases the military budget, that it at the same time results in cuts to vital programs. People are aware of these things. What this system doesn’t offer is a choice, an alternative, a way out.

Go read “The People’s Pension” by Eric Laursen, read the stuff about Peterson. And realize that the leader of the Democrats in the House is right there with him. I wish that your party, its “think tanks”, it mediocre media personalities, its donor network, would dissolve away and something worthwhile would take its place.

Here’s how to convince people to vote third party:

Don’t change any of your arguments. Just keep writing comments like always. Thanks.

It won’t dissolve away as long as people keep keep enabling it.

Yeah, that is why I said I wish. Cause I don’t see any major push on the left to create an actual third party infrastructure right now. Everything is always about the next election, and playing defense. Since the left is supposed to work within a broken, corrupt and undemocratic party, the next election at best will result in a group of boring, corrupt Democrats getting elected, nothing changing and things getting worse. There is no alternative, so there is nothing to go on the offensive with.

Your comment forms a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The first step in replacing the d-party is to destroy it.

Not really, just observing what seems to be the case. The d party is destroying itself though. It’s horrible enough at this point that it gets its ass kicked by a party which has support of only a quarter of the country and backs deeply unpopular policies. If we want the d party to destroy itself, keep people like Pelosi control of that party. I don’t cheer on it failing though, because whatever I think of it, its failures have major negative repercussions for people. I have major health issues now, and the Democrats being what they are could cost me my life.

They’ve already cost countless lives.

Take, for instance, the subject of this article.

Okay, I don’t feel like doing this back and forth any longer. Have a good one.

You’d have to pry politician’s bribes from their cold, dead hands. Alternatives are up to us.