Home | About | Donate

Field of Fright

Field of Fright

Ira Chernus

What kind of national security policy will the Trump administration pursue globally? On this issue, as on so many others, the incoming president has offered enough contradictory clues, tweets, and comments that the only definitive answer right now is: Who knows?

One thing that cluster of &%$#-heads doesn't understand is that we cannot, even by building a huge arsenal, wage multiple wars on multiple fronts simultaneously. The manpower just isn't there. So maybe they are going to have to reinstate the draft. Now THAT would bring on the protests, you betcha. if they didn't like the Women's March (bunch'o' whiners) they'll really love a whole generation of young people who have better things to do than fight their asinine wars pushing back and filling the streets with "Hell no, we won't go!"

In the 60's it was the now discredited domino theory that got support for a war in Vietnam. Then more recently it was the threat of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction that turned out to be nonexistent that got support for a war in Iraq. Who knows what is next is right.

The odious and manipulative arguments for yet more bloodshed never end.

Folly folly and more greedy ill advised folly.

And I'm sure the vets that come home will be well cared for..........NOT.

Sorry to use this twice, but it seems even more apropos here than where I originally posted it:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"The only thing we have is fear." -- Donald J. Trump

Although Cheney and his puppet Dubya came close, nobody is as successful at pushing voters' fear and greed buttons as Trump is.

Jeez, if Hillary had only been a more charming liar than Cheeto Mussolini.

Wonderful piece, Ira! In the immortal words of Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Herr Twittler is General Franco writ large and the ROTW is Republican Spain of 1936.

Off topic, but referencing this typical DJT hand gesture.

DJT's favorite gesture: fingerpointing (universally considered a rude gesture)

"Pointing Finger In America and European cultures: it is considered rude to point fingers at others. This hand gesture is an indication of a dominant - to - subordinate behavior in the professional world. It is considered a gesture to single out an individual from a crowd. This aggressive signal is not liked by many, as no one likes to be singled out."

I remember my grandmother admonishing me about pointing fingers at people, "Please remember that is very rude and do not do it."

This from Psychology Today"

"I believe there is a correlation between fear and the amount of power people seek. An individual’s motivation for power is to acquire control over his environment. A certain amount of controlling behavior is a healthy natural survival instinct, but after a point it becomes harmful. When that happens normal survival is no longer the motivator. Underlying the quest for power is fear, and the desire for power is to eliminate fear. The more fearful a person is the more control over their environment they believe they need to feel safe. When they seek out public office this becomes a problem, because those who use power to assuage their own fear, also use fear against others to bolster and maintain their power. Citizens, who are also fearful, support the power-monger to the detriment of all." (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-main-ingredient/201303/fear-vs-power)

Trump's national insecurity team members lack any sort of cohesive plan. They each seem to vaguely reach for different but elusive enemies. But they are all too anxious to extend war to "protect American values".

Lots of people and corporations, as well as those on Wall Street make lots of money from our government's endless wars. Those in power will wage (largely unnecessary) war until there is nothing left - they will leave this country depleted and bankrupt monetarily, morally and spiritually if allowed. All of history's great nations and civilizations have fallen for one reason or another. Most have ultimately and ironically been the architects of their own demise. History does have a way of repeating itself. It doesn't have to.

Responding to the article in general. Accidentally hit incorrect reply button, Seatower. Sorry.

With Trump we are moving towards war.

Wasn't Hitler a frequent finger pointer?

A Hollywood Actor and a bunch of run-down war-horses. Pathetic! They don't know what the phuck they are doing! This won't end well.

This summer they may just discover who the real enemy is: Mother Nature: She's going to fry their nuke plants with hot rivers and hot oceans and cause mass migration that will make the Great Wall of Trump Look brilliant if they can get it up in time.

All the crops failed in rural parts of Syria years ago. Before any war started, this is what caused the climate refugees to overwhelm Syrian Cities and destabilize things there. It's going to happen to Mexico next. Africa is already frying. Australia is seeing massive heat waves that go on way past two days over 40-50 degrees C. Same with Chile, since it is summer in the Southern Hemisphere right now.

(I know you know all this, but others may not.)

Poker players almost always have some physical movement or posture, called a "tell", that betrays a bluff. For Trump, his hand gestures are his 'tell" for when he is lying.

Not to nitpick, but the USSR was an enemy from the moment of it's inception in 1917. It didn't start post WW2. In fact, the US didn't diplomatically recognize the USSR until 1933. That goddamned Roosevelt fellow!

Who the Hell is going to believe this government when we are told we have to go to war? If the MSM does the job that journalists are supposed to do, we are going to be very aware of how this administration is manufacturing arguments or events that they believe give them a reason to create a war.

Maybe this paranoia is a natural result of a society having military outposts in nearly every country of the world .It's true! They REALLY DO hate our guts, but for our FOOTPRINTS across their lives, not for our (former) freedoms.

I have read that as a person slowly loses control of his mind, due to brain cancer, syphilis, dementia, etc, he begins to fear more and more, but he fears EXTERNAL causes, and gropes for EXTERNAL solutions. We need to keep reminding those nutcakes who have grabbed control of our government that the enemy they so fear is not at our national border, but already inside their minds!

This is like right out of 1984.

I really dont recognize this country anymore. Its nothing like it was when Eisenhower gave his farewell address. We seem to have disregarded all his warnings.

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=90&page=transcript