Home | About | Donate

Fiends of the Earth

Fiends of the Earth

Peter Dykstra

There's a case to be made that the Trump Administration's rollback of environmental regulation won't be devastating; that market forces will prevail in the coming energy revolution; that the environment and public health will continue to be protected under the EPA and other agencies, and that state governments will do their part as well; and that a newly-elected President, self-branded as an astute businessman and dealmaker, will be open to the wisdom of ensuring a safe and healthy America.

I would not be that pessimistic. First of all, no matter how much the Trump people want to use fossil fuels if the the demands fall because of a transition to green energy and improved energy efficiency there is nothing they can do. And there is good reason to believe demand for fossil fuels will decrease. The price of wind and solar have dropped a lot and even in some red states wind energy is taking over. And solar is also taking off in many places. In addition many states as well as cities and towns will continue to work hard to reduce emissions. And individuals and small businesses have a big role to play by getting energy audits and making energy efficiency improvements and perhaps getting rooftop solar. Environmentalists will continue to use the courts as they have done in the past to force government agencies to carry out the law. Trump will certainly be able slow progress in fighting climate change down and his election will probably make it impossible to stay below 2C although that goal would probably not have been attained anyway given all the obstacles. The best advice is for people is to keep working hard to fight climate change and not to be discouraged by whatever Trump tries to do to increase fossil fuel burning. His energy policy is completely insane but it exists within a larger context of a transition to renewable erergy.

Okay, so, you say fossil fuel demand should go down, with the uptick in renewables. I would like to ask... how that would happen, since, it takes fossil fuels to make renewable equipment and .... we will need... world wide... BILLIONS of sets of renewable equipment... so, since that is a NEW product that is ADDED into the manufacturing mix .... it really just fills in the gap of whatever energy was used in electric production ... and we are not making a difference by getting rid of un necessary uses... such as professional sports, massive amounts of plastic containers... plastic toys... way too many.... and garbage bags... plastic garbage bags... plastic grocery bags... plastic hair barrettes... plastic lawn ornaments.. plastic signs.. ..make up galore... hair products.... rich people flying their *sses all over kingdom come....Agri-business spewing out co2 and methane.. .. everyday... oh and methane from fracking.... .........now, the next thing... so about keeping temp below 2 degrees C.... you say, "his election will probably make it impossible to stay below 2C although that goal would probably not have been attained anyway given all the obstacles."..........Well, if that is true (which it is).... then there comes a point... (at around 2C... that the EARTH HER SELF... SPEWS OUT HER OWN SOUP OF CO2 AND METHANE.... so it won't matter what we are doing.... a CHAIN REACTION HAPPENS.... and all the feedback loops kick in...... hey, you have abrupt climate change... which is what we already have.... so, all your talk about solving this problem with switching out to renewables... just as bad as climate change denial... if we would have any chance of stopping this train wreck... we would need to put a stop to industrial civilization.... PHYSICS DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE STOCK MARKET.... or whether George has a job in the coal mines... or Suzy has a job at the mall.... it is what it is.... SINCE WE WAITED SO DAMN LONG TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT..... 21 YEARS OF CLIMATE CONFERNCES.... AND WHAT... HAVE WE REALLY DONE ANYTHING/... MEASURABLE?..

It doesn't necessarily take fossil fuels to make wind turbines or solar panels. Electricity in a grid comes from mixed sources but some of these sources could be nuclear, hydro, solar, or wind. But even if if was all fossil fuels the amount of carbon dioxide emitted is a tiny fraction of the avoided emissions over the lifetime of a wind turbine or solar panel. Scientists are not certain where the tipping points are for positive feedbacks that drive global warming. They could kick in before 1.5C or maybe not until 3C. Given where we are now I don't see any choice but to move forward and try to reduce emissions as fast as possible and hope it is not too late. Before we do away with professional sports and who knows what else shouldn't we first do the obvious basic things that reduce emissions without tuning society upside down. That means making buildings more energy efficient, driving more fuel efficient vehicles, building wind farms, putting solar panels on rooftops and in arrays, and heating by using electric heat pumps or geothermal energy. Is there anything you can do? That is what you should be asking. If you don't know what to do where you live then do a little research. All of us can do something and all of us should be doing something. Everything that leads to reduction of emissions adds up and that ultimately is the only why to end the use of fossil fuels.

Wow... it is amazing to me... that people think of this whole scenario as, something that has just recently popped up.
"Before we do away with professional sports and who knows what else shouldn't we first do the obvious basic things that reduce emissions without tuning society upside down"
We have already, waited too long, way too long, in making any reductions in emissions... we are hanging on to the cliff with our fingernails..... We do not have time to wait for the slow, incremental methods you mention. Not that they cannot be done, but that can't be our only strategy.... you say, "Given where we are now I don't see any choice but to move forward and try to reduce emissions as fast as possible and hope it is not too late fuel efficiency, building up all the renewable infrastructure." So, if we need to reduce emissions as fast as possible, then we should be taking DRASTIC ACTION to do so.... and YES, WE NEED TO TURN SOCIETY UP SIDE DOWN..... it seems we are too cowardly to give up our fun and frivolous lives, in order to save our selves...we just want to keep on going to our football games.... REALLY?..... but I do not hold any hope, that anything SERIOUS will be done IN TIME... to save us. We made the mistake of using fossil fuels... and ABUSING FOSSIL FUELS.... for ridiculous reasons... so that SOME in our culture could become BILLONAIRE GODS.... running the world.....
And just because I bring up this perspective on the situation, you make the assumption that I am not already "doing something".... to help?.... Why would you make that assumption..... and.... I have made many many responses on this sight.... it would seem maybe you ran across those at some point and would have read some of what I've done or how I live.... you could do that....