Home | About | Donate

Fighting Back in the War on the Poor

Fighting Back in the War on the Poor

Nijmie Dzurinko

What’s the first thing that you think of when you think of Martin Luther King, Jr.? Perhaps the “I have a dream speech”?

That’s what we learn about in school. But what was King’s dream at the end of his life?

It was to build a massive movement of all poor people, united across lines of division, challenging conditions of poverty, systemic racism, and militarism — which sucks our resources into endless wars. Shortly before he was assassinated, King and many allies launched the first Poor People’s Campaign.

Now the fascists have taken control. If what has been happening for four decades is to be called a class war, then what is going to happen now would I guess be called class annihilation. The amazing thing is most Americans don’t even seem to be aware, even after four decades of declines, that a class war has even happened. They will…when it gets so bad hunger starts to set in.

John Steinbeck was an excellent observer of human character in my opinion and in “The Grapes of Wrath” a scene spoke to the human condition and how it lead them to simply accepting their lot.

The Joads are at a roadside camp where a number of other poor Okies have gathered. The Joads are cooking for the family and the smell of the food draws a number of other children around who are also hungry. The parents of those hungry children do not want to ASK for food , nor do they want their children to do so.

In so doing they would “admit” that they have failed as parents and can not provide for them and that someone else can do it better. They would rather have their own children go hungry due to their own stubborn pride.

I would contrast this with the traditions of our First nations peoples some of which exist to this day. When a successful hunter made a kill he brought he food back to the tribe. His family would get a portion and then the rest would go into the community freezer where any could help themselves to it. There was no “pride” or “shame” involved when some family went to get some food from that community locker because the provider in that family not as successful in their own hunt.

Now add in a system that rewards people who have an excess with even more excess , and which gives persons more POWER when they have that excess , which is what Capitalism does, and we get the Wealth inequality of today with far too many believing it the way it has to be.

We are inundated with news about how wonderful the economy is. Always more and more jobs. Always higher and higher wages (presented both as median individual or household income or an actual trend in which the majority of jobs are paying more.)

Do you ever wonder WHY we keep hearing these stories? And keep in mind, it isn’t a bland announcement; there’s always, even in the so-called objective reporting, a comingled interpretation that it is joyful news.

Why? As individuals, either your situation has improved, so you certainly don’t need CNN to tell you, or your situation has not improved, in which case, the news sounds like an insulting lie. So why do they keep telling us the economy is doing better and better and better?

And why does the news present it as “The economy” = “Average household income + availability of jobs/unemployment rate.” There’s so much more to “The economy” than that. Here are some facts that are part of “The economy” that certainly aren’t good news:

1. More and more of our money is being spent to kill people in other countries.
  2. Banks are being deregulated, always at a cost to individuals.
  3. Interest rates paid on savings accounts and IRAs are always going down, regardless of what “The Fed’s” latest announcement is.
  4. More and more money is being cut for services to the poor.
  5. Ever-increasing fractions of personal income is needed for healthcare. Ditto housing.

We hear about those things in the news, but it isn’t being presented in connection with the very narrow measure of how much more or less wealth the average household has compared to last month or last year.

Why don’t we stop calling people “the poor” as if they are subhuman? Why not just say people who are struggling? We are all human.

I am getting tired of implied condescedence in an adjective that describes people for what they are.

Are we disrespecting these people by calling them what they are, or is that implied disrespect causing a sociological depression of the people who fit the definition?

If so, please proactively do something about this.
Otherwise, spare me the re categorization per your personal liking.
It is getting in the way of actual conversation.

Responses awaited.

My street view is very different.
I call: " fake news".
Who the fuck came up with much less popularized, the term, fake news???
The Orange Mussolini, a legend in his own mind.:sweat_smile:

“…oh Lord won’t you buy me…” Janis

I like being who I am.