Home | About | Donate

Filling 'Glaring Gap,' Amnesty Teams Up with Wikipedia to Include Entries on Women Human Rights Defenders

Filling 'Glaring Gap,' Amnesty Teams Up with Wikipedia to Include Entries on Women Human Rights Defenders

Julia Conley, staff writer

Online activists from over 20 countries spent the weekend uploading to Wikipedia the biographies of "women human rights defenders"—an unsung group whose efforts, campaigners say, have gone largely unrecognized by the international community, even as their work has improved the lives of marginalized people of all genders around the world.

Two groups not known for honesty. I wonder how this will turn out and I would like to have good thoughts on this.

Though I oppose Amnesty International’s leftist agenda on a number of other issues, there are a few I support. Any group that provides a platform and support for people who fight for women’s rights globally receives my support. Especially men and women fighting to end the abuse and second-rate status of women in Muslim-dominated countries. It is appalling to me the lack of coverage that most feminists and feminist groups give to these people and the issues we are seeing in these countries. It is not about the religion, as every prominent religion was originally based on sexism. It is the governmental structure and societal/cultural structures in some of these countries that encourages this abuse. And we cannot continue to turn a blind eye to these real abuses while trivializing them by focusing on numerous non-issues like the “wage gap” in America.