Home | About | Donate

Finally “Winning” the Viet Nam War—in Afghanistan

Finally “Winning” the Viet Nam War—in Afghanistan

Bill Distler

Some military thinkers in the United States believe we could have won the American war in Viet Nam if we had just stayed a little longer. After years of bombing and wounding and killing, they thought they had finally stumbled onto the winning formula.

Yes, we are being horribly mislead by the lack of real journalism in the MSM. They sell us our wars like they sell us our cars.
Spread the word, tell the truth to anyone that will listen, we have to stop these lies and wars.
Truly heart breaking, our country has been taken over by the maniacs and murderers we call elected representatives. Stop them in your state we don't have much time before it comes for us too.

Good review of history in your commentary, Bill Distler.

All of the lies of Bush - Cheney - Colin Powell - Condoleezza Rice - and others - guided us into these most destructive wars against the countries of Afghanistan and Iraq. All of the lies.

Obama steps into the presidency. Perhaps some justice? No, all is forgiven and forgotten, as it turns out the lies are useful for MIC operations in these lands, and to savage other Middle East countries with US weapons.

A sense that justice eventually prevails, with Dr. King's, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

“Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”

― Hermann Göring

http://www.onlinedirectdemocracy.org

http://www.alternet.org/world/35-countries-where-us-has-supported-fascists-druglords-and-terrorists

This an article detailing how the US Government has openly supported Fascist and Criminal regimes the world over. That so many buy into the notion that the US Government on the side of "freedom and democracy" shows how effective the propoganda is.

Remember that as per a news article written in India in a prominent newspaper, the invasion of Afghanistan and the removal of the Taliban was planned BEFORE 9/11. 9/11 made it more convenient to do so , a rather fortunate "break" for the formulaters of the "Clean Break Strategy" and the neocons.

The Wikileak emails just released also show that the US Government fully aware that the Saudi's and other allies openly provide aid in the way of arms and monies to ISIS and ISIL in the Middle East. These conflicts are all manufactured in the back rooms of the Pentagon , CIA and US State department , all of them following the same formula used by the same to manufacture wars for decades and more.

Opium to supply the drug manufacturers. Patients (addicted) in hospitals in cities and rural areas ask RN's when can I have my next pain-killing fix?

When they say freedom, they mean the freedom of Capital to move unimpeded across borders. When they say democracy, they are referring to the corporate elites slugging it out among themselves for government subsidies. "Our" government, Washington, Wall Street, Intelligence agencies, etc., what I like to think of as the Matrix of Evil, only desire one last thing. More.
I know I don't have to tell you this S because you already know. I just felt like having a mini-rant.

Peace
Po

" The media instead of asking questions repeats whatever the pentagon tells them."

The author is correct, just corroborates my contention that Amerika is and has been a fascist, military dictatorship ( what minitrue has called the Fourth Reich) that has brainwashed the masses that their government is a democracy, altruistically bringing freedom and democracy to foreign countries around the world. And what more proof does one need than the current two fawning pentagon sycophants for POTUS! When some one like Dr. Jill Stein has no chance. Just imagine if Jill could have had the same MSM press coverage of either the current war candidates for POTUS.

The M$M is the enemy, another part of the Matrix of Evil.

Peace
Po

Would you be referring to the Poppie trade in Afghanistan that the CIA protects and sells to fund some of their black ops? Or just the average person addicted to the pharmaceuticals that are killing people as opposed to legalizing marijuana for pain? Big Pharma doesn't want it, it would cut into the profits of heroin and addictive drugs they sell us on t.v.

Both. CIA protects it. U.S. tells us about a war in Afghanistan? Only for a pipeline and opium.

As to Afghanistan, all we had to do was buy all of the opium from the country's opium farmers and then destroy it all. Their hearts and minds would have glomed onto us and never let go and the zealots would've been left out in the cold. As to Iraq, the former military was disbanded and in that, we shot ourself in the foot (after Bush/Cheney had first shot us in the head).

As a student of and veteran of the war in Vietnam, I find the above article to be a pile of cherry picked absolutist and contradictory claptrap - the same degree of non-contextualized selectivity and simplified absolutism that we read and hear from the conservative right.

Please elucidate. What exactly is wrong with the article and what might be done to rectify that?

Matrix of evil. Well put!

Thanks to Bill Distler and Bellingham Vets For Peace for the very cogent analysis.

May it spread widely.

I'm also a proud member of Vets For Peace.

Eliminating the draft had nothing to do with the generals trying to win the war in southeast Asia. Changing to an all volunteer force was part/parcel to re-achieving the big lie, gaining military creedence and fostering whatever viewpoint held by aspiring generals across the Potomac. They knew that their credibility had been shot once college fraternities, sororities and Cronkite had gone over to the other side, that popular opinion had turned against them.

They could never have gotten "pesky demonstrators" off the streets if William Westmoreland had gotten the increased force he'd requested in the wake of TET. The number of demonstrators would only have increased, have expanded exponentially. Dick Nixon had a more accurate view of reality, told us of his secret plan and downsized and extended our involvement as a face saving sop to the conservative electorate. By that point in time, the Phoenix Program was largely history.

Equating the effectiveness and ACCOUNTABILITY of military personnel and contractors/contracting firms is ludicrous in view of the record of Pentagon outsourcing, particularly during the Bush/Cheney era. The record of so much national wealth having gone down the drain hardly needs illumination here.

Media access to the war front in Vietnam was largely not restricted, not manipulated or controlled as we've since observed with Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, et al.

If the author has evidence that our "heroes" have beheaded Afghanis in darkness (or in light) he should tell us, not propagandize what he imagines. As well, he needs to relate evidence that our troops have executed "suspects," who the executioners were and who gave directions.

And as to the use of the term "U S death squads": needless to say, war is about humans killing humans. Be it beligerent or for peace, distortion is nothing more than distortion.

Thank you. I see what you mean now. Very good points. BTW, I was one of those pesky demonstrators. In my experience, eliminating the draft was aimed at dividing the anti-war movement once the followers (as opposed to the seriously involved) no longer had a self interest in seeing the war ended...and it worked. Our ranks melted away faster than you can say "Dick Nixon before he dicks you."

One other thing...my son-in-law was in Iraq and says he killed a lot of people. He also says not one of them was a combatant and has the PTSD and night terrors to prove it.