Home | About | Donate

Fire at Houston-Area Petrochemical Plant Rages as Company's History of Violations Gets Renewed Scrutiny

Fire at Houston-Area Petrochemical Plant Rages as Company's History of Violations Gets Renewed Scrutiny

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A petrochemical plant near Houston continued to burn for a second day on Monday, raising questions about the quality and safety of the air.

The Deer Park facility is owned by Intercontinental Terminals Company (ITC), which said the fire broke out at roughly 10:30am Sunday. Seven tanks are involved, the company said, and they contain naptha, xylene, "gas blend stocks," and "base oil."

0 Likes

This reminds me that the same BS was said after the Twin Towers came down. Many of those first responders will attest to the opposite. When money is the god of a society of course those who stand to gain will lie to you.

The fossil fuel corporate thugs need to be exposed and stopped: Greg Palast did a great expose recently on the Koch Bros whose refineries actually need that filthy fuel and why:

1. they want the EXL Pipeline

2. were getting their dirty fuel from Venezuela and owe them money so are ok with getting us in another war over oil and due to sanctions they are not permitted to pay Venezuela

The corporate “titans” are public enemies who place their immediate financial gain over the health of planet and people.

11 Likes

I love the smell of burning unregulated corporatism in the morning.

9 Likes

Voters in Texas prefer to elect leaders who limit regulations.

Burn, baby, burn is just part of the landscape.

4 Likes

Once again business is “booming” in Texas.

5 Likes

Would love to know the details to this story, and closer photos. From the photo provided, I notice two things: 1) It doesn’t appear that any of these tanks have “floating roofs”, not good, but might not have had any effect on the out come of the event because, 2) It appears the responding FD has extinguished fire around many more tanks (notice all of the char marks on the tanks not burning), than are on fire in the picture, usually meaning the fuel was leaked onto the ground, then it found an ignition source.
I’m not sure if water supply is a problem or not, but if I was the Fire Ground Commander, I would want more master streams cooling the tanks not on fire than they have set-up in the photo.
This area of TX has a long history of catastrophic and deadly industrial fire events, with too many of them caused by failure to replace or up-grade old or faulty equipment.

1 Like

A positive note not yet mentioned. Heavy smoke blocks the Sun’s rays warming Earth. However choking on toxic fumes may override the slight dimming of the Sunlight. With my damaged lungs I’m glad I live about a thousand miles away here in Sunny Albuquerque, New Mexico.

1 Like

Why should they bother with pesky details regarding equipment degradation, more profit for the owners. I’m amazed we haven’t had a Bhopal level disaster experienced in India in the 80’s.

3 Likes

“Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Jr

7 Likes

The Texas arm of advocacy group Public Citizen pointed to the recent incidents as evidence that the Environment Protection Agency and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality should do a better job at protecting public health:

There far less in the way of profit generating opportunities when “Protecting the Public health” Texas is anout raw unfetterred capitalism. If a firm can not make money off protecting the public health, why should they in the minds of the Investors?

2 Likes

They will get the usual wrist slap like Exxon and the rest have gotten. Didn’t you know… these days it’s Cool to be a Rich Crook? They’re everywhere!

1 Like

Choke on it Texas! Choke hard.
You get what you vote for. You put shit in to the machine, you get shit out.

1 Like

Would stolen oil from Vz have to travel the Panama Canal to get to U.S. refineries?

0 Likes

I was a summer engineer at a Houston Ship Channel chemical plant in 1975. There was an area-wide evacuation about once or twice a week for dangerous clouds of gas leaked in the area. The first day i learned the different colors of dangerous gas clouds. I was glad to do my project on safety. Violations were rampant.

1 Like

No one should live on Deer Park. Has been disgusting for a long time. Just now seeing it in the news. Most neighborhoods around refineries are like this. Drive around in Delaware, Mobile, …

1 Like

“Air quality is safe” sort of means normal for that area. It is a chemical plant neighborhood.
I can’t make the map link work. Deer Park is adjacent the ship channel, with is a row of chemical plants lining the Houston Ship Channel. What could go wrong? I mean what DOES go wrong all the time and you just don’t hear about it.

0 Likes

From my experience with Chevron refinery fires here in Richmond, California, I expect state officials to be singing from the corporate songbook, by Bobby McFerrin:

Here’s a little song I wrote, try to learn it note for note
Don’t worry, be happy.

Please don’t trust them. That black plume is fully of incredibly nasty, abstruse chemicals, such as poly-organic pollutants, which can seriously mess you up.

1. Wear a mask where the plume falls on you.
  2. Adopt shelter-in-place protocols as much as possible, such as closing windows and stuffing towels under the doors. If you’ve got AC, set it to recirculate.
  3. Seriously, hose the stuff off your car and your walks. Don’t get it on your hands.
  4. Sorry, it’s not a good year to have a backyard garden.
3 Likes

Burn baby burn.

0 Likes

I just need to re-emphasize that this is not funny. This is some very strange contamination of a very large area with goodness knows what. Please don’t joke about this.

Personal friends of mine struggle with the long-term consequences (including asthma and kidney disease) of toxic refinery plumes.

0 Likes

Yes it’s true. Corporate America has Trump’s license to pollute our water, poison our air and food and wait for the Apocalypse for short term profits. Do those CEO’s really hate their grand kids that much?

0 Likes