Home | About | Donate

Firing of Cop Who Didn’t Shoot First and Ask Questions Later Reveals Failings of US Law Enforcement

Firing of Cop Who Didn’t Shoot First and Ask Questions Later Reveals Failings of US Law Enforcement

Jeffery Robinson

“I am not going to shoot you, brother.”

In what world do those words being said by a police officer result in that officer being fired? You don’t have to go down the rabbit hole in search of a place where up is down, left is right, and war is peace. All you need do is go to Weirton, West Virginia.

When I find that I'm speechless, often times its because the framing by language and image (buzz words, dog whistles, the framing of events by a media that has to sell whatever supports the predation of advertisers) has lost essence. That essence is inevitably found only by putting myself in the shoes of the victim. Why? I tend to think that it is because despite being "individuals", we are inextricably linked by the most refined loving and coherent aspects inherent to living human beings. Without the full scope of meaning being constantly in motion among us and between us words and thoughts fail us. This is why I consider Donald Trump saying that he does not want others to know what he is thinking to be such an insidiously destructive point of view. He has NO strength of reasoning for any of us to share - and that speaks volumes!

“Kindness”
Naomi Shihab Nye

Before you know what kindness really is
you must lose things,
feel the future dissolve in a moment
like salt in a weakened broth
What you held in your hand,
what you counted and carefully saved
all this must go so you know
how desolate the landscape can be
between the regions of kindness.
How you ride and ride
thinking the bus will never stop,
the passengers eating maize and chicken
will stare out the window forever.

Before you learn the tender gravity of kindness,
you must travel where the Indian in a white poncho
lies dead by the side of the road.
You must see how this could be you
how he too was someone
who journeyed through the night with plans
and the simple breath that kept him alive.

Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside
you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.
You must wake up with sorrow.
You must speak to it till your voice
catches the thread of all sorrows
and you see the size of the cloth.

Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,
only kindness that ties your shoes
and sends you out into the day to mail letters and purchase bread,
only kindness that raises its head
from the crowd of the world to say
It is I you have been looking for,
and then goes with you everywhere
like a shadow or a friend.

Up is down.

What a thoughtful and insightful account, Jeffery Robinson. I'm glad I read this account of a compassionate and caring police officer, Stephen Mader.

The only thing Officer Mader needs is to be cloned about a thousand times over.

What a lovely poem! Thank you for sharing it. It's telling to Nye's kindness, and maybe her hoping to reach the broadest audience, that she, as a Palestinian-American, did not mention Palestine which is so very in need of kindness (and much else).

The article does not give the basis for Officer Mader's dismissal. A fair inference is that his compassionate action makes other officers look bad by comparison, and that cannot be tolerated. This occurs in the private sector too, e.g. a CEO who chose to work for less pay would quickly be dismissed because it would set a bad example which the public or the stockholders might then pressure other execs to follow.

The overarching lie, that is consistently spread, is that Police Misconduct is not Systemic.

It's staggeringly obvious the if murdering a Black Citizen was a cause for shame in the Police Locker Room, it would not be as widespread as it is.

In not knowing why the police office, Officer Mader, was fired; "It fired him for making the right decision" was most likely not the official reason. Until that element of the policeman being terminated is clarified, one cannot objectively judge the actions of the three officers.