Home | About | Donate

First Broadcast Interview: Albert Woodfox of Angola 3, Freed After 43 Years in Solitary Confinement

First Broadcast Interview: Albert Woodfox of Angola 3, Freed After 43 Years in Solitary Confinement

Democracy Now!

After more than 43 years in solitary confinement, Albert Woodfox is a free man and joins us today for his first broadcast interview. The former Black Panther spent more time in solitary confinement than anyone in the United States, much of it in a six-by-nine cell for 23 hours each day. Albert Woodfox was released Friday after he entered a plea of no contest to charges of manslaughter and aggravated burglary of a prison guard more than four decades ago. Prior to Friday’s settlement, his conviction had been overturned three times.

The end of this vicious prison system cannot come too soon. At the risk of repeating what I said elsewhere: Mr. Albert Woodfox, may the rest of your days be filled with joy.

In exchange for granting a man freedom after 43 years in solitary, the state extracted a confession of sorts. Mr. Woodfox had to plead no contest to a charge of manslaughter. This was an insane action on the state's part.

Once again we see how cruel the US prison and legal system is. We are the pariah of the first world.
Peace to Mr Woodfox.

I thought one thing he said that is/was key to his mental and emotional survival, is that he kept his focus on others. he crafted a meaningful purpose to his life from a 6 X 9. he aligns with and communes with a higher intelligence. why, again, do we need "leaders"? i need to be reminded often.
blessings of nurturing and restorative light to you, Mr. Woodfox.