Home | About | Donate

First Confirmed Coronavirus Reinfection Raises Immunity Concerns

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/24/first-confirmed-coronavirus-reinfection-raises-immunity-concerns

So—the man who originally had the virus and overcame it --has antibodies. BUT while in Europe, he caught another strain. Does this mean, I wonder, that every nation will develop its own strain? We heard that some had antibodies after having covid 19—I wonder if, as often nations have similar DNA, I wonder if this means that different races could develop a particular strain for their own population----but still possibly get another strain—and be a carrier of that one—but still be able to catch another strain?
Some scientists believe that meteors or asteroids can carry different life forms that might bring a new virus to a planet----this all became a thought when a piece of a meteor rock from Mars was found in Antartica and the rock was called AH!840001 .
It carried something that was not known on Earth. And it was suggested that maybe disease can come to Earth that way. ( the book is "A Brief History of Creation ; Bill Messler and H. James Cleaves. That is the great thing about a lockdown-----more books to read!

4 Likes

There have been several very strong indications of reinfection, most notably a couple dozen cases among the crew of the Teddy Roosevelt. I don’t know how many indications you need. Nobody has yet found hardly any protective immunity against any coronavirus. The four-month lag is in line with the rhythm of regular reinfection with “common cold” coronaviruses.

There’s a very interesting theory regarding children getting asymptomatic cases, for the most part, related to “common cold” reinfection. Possibly the fact that little kids are the ones most actively passing colds to and fro has something to do with their ability to ride out SARS2 without symptoms. In general, SARS2 is teaching virologists some new lessons about the intricacies of immune response among vertebrates.

4 Likes

Two very serious astronomers, Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe, spent 20 years analyzing interstellar dust and concluded that many Earth diseases probably came from outer space. However, their findings were rejected by the broader scientific community. But if you’d like to explore their findings, they published a book, “Diseases From Space,” in 1979.

4 Likes

That old big-band tune Stardust always carried this subliminal horror for me.

Hi Brett_Wilkins:
Thank you for that. Another great sounding book to read!
I do worry about science rejecting ideas too quickly–Remember Galileo was right too, but it took a long time for that to be accepted. : )

1 Like

What this seems to point to, I believe, is that a one-shot vaccine preventative is not in the cards. They still have no vaccine for aids or Ebola, for example. I’m afraid the monster may be among us for quite a while to come.

4 Likes

Well we come from stardust after all so why does the stodgy scientific community scoff at particles from space containing viruses make it seem so far fetched? A star exploded billions of years ago.(supernova) The remnants coalesced into what we know and love as our Solar System including our home, Earth.

2 Likes

Looks like the older teachers in my extended family (all Trumpers) have some hard decisions: Die of the virus or not work and face …?

Sadly, for sure they will be in the Trump line come election day. Delaying to another day. They are good people but to Trump … disposable ‘infrastructure’.

Fascinating possibilities both yourself and @stardustIBID raise. Still, plenty of room for a fascinating terrestrial origin for this one:

" A Proposed Origin for SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 Pandemic

…enormous scientific attention has been paid to the molecular character of the SARS-CoV-2 virus…  In stark contrast, virtually no attention has been paid to the physical provenance of those nearest genetic relatives, its presumptive ancestors, which are two viral sequences named BtCoV/4991 and RaTG13.

… in the spring of 2012, six miners working in the mine had contracted a mysterious illness and three of them had died.

The origin of SARS-CoV-2 that we propose below is based on the case histories of these miners and their hospital treatment. This simple theory accounts for all the key features of the novel SARS-CoV-2 virus, including ones that have puzzled virologists since the outbreak began.

The theory can account for the origin of the polybasic furin cleavage site, which is a region of the viral spike protein that makes it susceptible to cleavage by the host enzyme furin and which greatly enhances viral spread in the body. This furin site is novel to SARS-CoV-2 compared to its near relatives. The theory also explains the exceptional affinity of the virus spike protein for human receptors, which has also surprised virologists . The theory further explains why the virus has barely evolved since the pandemic began, which is also a deeply puzzling aspect of a virus supposedly new to humans . Lastly, the theory neatly explains why SARS-CoV-2 targets the lungs, which is unusual for a coronavirus.

…the miners’ lungs offered an unprecedented opportunity for accelerated evolution of a highly bat-adapted coronavirus into a highly human-adapted coronavirus and that decades of ordinary coronavirus evolution could easily have been condensed into months."

~https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/07/17/a-proposed-origin-for-sars-cov-2-and-the-covid-19-pandemic/#gsc.tab=0

It goes into much more detail.

1 Like

Down here we can only hope that Trump wears a mask.

1 Like

Alas, you have a good point.

Betacoronaviruses mutate, a lot.

Also, there has not been a successful vaccine for a betacoronavirus. They never found one for SARS or MERS.

They did find something else thats useful, its made from an invasive plant.

We don’t know though because (SATIRE) what’s the point, lets face it it could NEVER be hugely profitable.

Read this.

~https://mbio.asm.org/content/mbio/5/6/e02249-14.full.pdf

Hi zed:
I’ll try try later as google went nowhere. Maybe I typed in in wrong.

Thats a link, to an academic paper
Like this one
~http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.405.5725&rep=rep1&type=pdf
although I’m sure we all want to know your attempt on the wrong line didnt work so you didnt see anything that might corrupt your mind.

Hi zed: I tried again and this time got to the page for the American Society for Microbiology-----but it said it could not find : " content/mbio/5/6/eo2249-14.full.pdf"

Panspermia

Reminds me of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Some blogs do too.

1 Like

Hi zed,
" panspermia,"’ was in that book that I read! ; )

Did you wash it off?

1 Like

Try entering the DOI into ~https://dx.doi.org

The DOI is not

~https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.405.5725&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It is 10.1128/mBio.02249-14