Home | About | Donate

First Debate Calls for More than Cutting Off Mics

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/03/first-debate-calls-more-cutting-mics

1 Like

I had promised myself I wouldn’t watch the 1st “debate” since these are not debates and they serve no productive purpose for the electorate.

But… I rubbernecked, I had to see the train wreck.

I hereby promise myself not to watch another presidential debate until control is reverted back to the league of women voters and 3rd parties are included without exception.

4 Likes

How many times did Trump interrupt the Libertarian candidate?

The Saturday Night Live version is much better than the original. I recommend it.

2 Likes

You can hollar that again, Julie — at the top of your lungs!  (For all the good it will do.)   It’s probably a moot point now, but how about a loud buzzer that interrupts blatant lies with a real-time fact check?

“A committed corporate journalist would cringe at the idea of cutting off one candidate three times as much as the other, no matter the facts of the case, but cutting them off equally would clearly be absurd.”
I am unsure of the point she is making here.

When it’s one candidate’s turn the other’s mic is switched off. Where is the three times as much. This mic off business needs to be by allowed turns and not by keeping the mics open and someone deciding to switch it off when there’s an interruption. The whole thing was a travesty (although I only watched for about 20 min. before my stomach and mind had to turn it off.)
Let’s put the candidates in the sound-proof, and virus proof, booth of quiz show infamy. Or better yet, put us all in the “Sleeper” mode until this is over.

Did the author even mention the fact that both national parties control the debates –
which makes clear why they don’t work – neither party wants reality – or truth on any issue.
In fact, they have a corporation which does it –

I also found this question very irritating from Chris Wallace –

"For instance, on the question of protests over systemic racism and police violence, Wallace demanded of Biden: “Have you ever called the Democratic Mayor of Portland or the Democratic Governor of Oregon and said, “Hey, you got to stop this, bring in the National Guard, do whatever it takes, but you’d stop the days and months of violence in Portland.”

And how did Fox News get Wallace on to moderate, no less?

No – turning off microphones will never be enough –

Why bother with debates if this is the best America can do?

Are we also forgetting that in 2000 it seemed very much like W Bush was wearing a wire?

Naturally, no one wants to be left without an answer to a question – appear dumb –
be caught up by a sharp retort –

Forget what the comment was but Geraldine Ferraro running for VP with Mondale faced
GHWB VP for Reagan – and got off a one liner much applauded by audience.

Actually – here it is and it comes up at the very beginning of the Video –

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4p27ywth0

The interview is also interesting but I haven’t watched all of the video, as yet –

One of the women in the audience immediately commented that …

"You can’t make a man look that bad and live."

1 Like

Re this Chris Wallace question with a Fox News spin on it –

"For instance, on the question of protests over systemic racism and police violence, Wallace demanded of Biden: “Have you ever called the Democratic Mayor of Portland or the Democratic Governor of Oregon and said, “Hey, you got to stop this, bring in the National Guard, do whatever it takes, but you’d stop the days and months of violence in Portland.”

Beyond my original complaint – today we have a letter to the editor in our NJ Star Ledger where
a local resident is using this QUOTE from Chris Wallace in the debate to try to push the idea that
the protesters are the violent ones – the Anti-fascist people are the violent ones – and those
who have entered these protests to SHOOT others, to create violence with weapons they have
brought to the protests – are just your average citizens!

Everyday we enter more dangerous waters with Trump and the right wing –
If you think the twisting of facts and the lies are outrageous now …
you will see that they will only increase and become more dangerous in every way.

In the old days, Mayor Richard J. Daley would make an invisible signal to someone, and an Alderman’s microphone would just turn off. As far as I know, no one ever could figure out what the signal was, or to whom it was directed. Aldermen would either continue speaking, shrug and give up, or yell to be heard. City Hall meetings could become fractious, and often, some rather vicious remarks were exchanged. Without a mysterious control device such as that, a modern “debate”, even in a supposedly controlled situation, would likely result in one candidate roaring on, and one being coerced into virtual silence. If greeted by extended silence, would someone like Trump even be stunned into a semblance of attention? I think not.