Home | About | Donate

First Nations, Conservation Groups Sue to Block Massive LNG Project in BC

First Nations, Conservation Groups Sue to Block Massive LNG Project in BC

Nika Knight, staff writer

In an effort to block a massive liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility that threatens one of Canada's most critical salmon habitats and the livelihood of local First Nations, several Aboriginal and conservation groups in British Columbia filed multiple lawsuits against the Canadian government in a Vancouver court Thursday.

The Skeena River valley is one of the most beautiful places on this Earth. Recent rulings by The Courts in Canada make me very hopeful that the First Nations peoples will prevail here.

God, I hope you're right. It doesn't even make fiscal sense. Just another product of a mediocre, not very bright but aggressive political class currying favour.

This will be the form of many confrontations to come, between the "Earthbound" and the untethered "devouring machine" called neoliberalism. This will occur around the world as the abstract machine destroys what remains of the planet in an insatiable hunger for asymmetrical power and wealth. It cannot change course and it will not end well for millions of people. Neoliberalism already knows this which is why they worship tooth and claw.

"The facility is to be built near Saint Rupert, B.C., at the mouth of the Skeena River…"
Would that ber the city of Prince Rupert?

And where is the shiny new prime minister? Taking selfies in Ottawa to send out via any number of social media vehicles? Wake up, Trudeau Jr and smell the acrid stench of the dirtiest of oils, that of tar sands. Do you not care about the magnificence of Canada and BC? You are not proving to be a man of your word, T. All flash and no substance.... Meanwhile, all manner of living/quality of all LIFE is hanging in the balance with any number of LNG Projects across Canada. OH, CANADA (wailing) !

The "new prime minister" is preparing to sign CETA now that the Europeans are putting their rubber stamps on it.
First nations and the rest of us will be facing legal action that will be tried by corporate tribunals if we oppose this type of development once CETA is in place.

Trudeau comes from the same Trojan Horse stable that Obama came from.

It appears, once again, that a government is prepared to put billions of economic activity ahead of what they should be doing. This is certainly not new. It is how crapitalism works and why we have so many problems globally.

A real shame, I thought Justine Trudeau was smarter and stronger than this.

Note to Nika Knight:

Although the Skeena River may indeed need a patron saint to protect it after this project is started, the name of the city is PRINCE Rupert BC, not Saint Rupert BC.

When you can see what a stunningly beautiful area this is you can also see the stunning ugliness of capitalism.

Not only Justin Trudeau, but Rachel Notley of the Alberta New Democrats are all in favor of these pipelines, the Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain to Prince Rupert and the salmon grounds being only one of several which we will see approved before long.

Try as one might not to be cynical, it seems neither brains nor integrity are required to make lots of money or to be a politician.

And then there is the problem of the complacent majority of so-called democratic voters. Hard not to be cynical here too.

Maybe there really is a "Tragedy of the Commons'.

I am looking forward to Leonardo de Caprio's "Before the Flood" environmental documentary apparently airing this Sunday on National Geographic.

Until things get really really bad for most - i.e., 'seeing is believing', I think we will see more and more energy expended on these fruitless opposition escapades, as if the state is going to cede power until physically thrown out of power.

In the meantime, I think individuals can act unilaterally - and think for themselves.

||| 5 - 350 - 1/2 ///

~ Five billion the Earth can support sustainably and in good health - (Lester Brown, "Plan B")
~ 350 ppm CO2 needed (now 400) - James Hansen, climatologist
~ One-Half of the Earth set aside to enable ~ 80% of biodiversity to survive The Anthropocene - Edward O. Wilson, biologist.

Daunting - and worthy of the best of us.

So much for Justin Trudeau. Shame Canada, shame.

Salmon is one of our most healthy foods. And I keep reading how we have less and less. Let those LNG executives eat their stinkin oil.

BC covers 944,000 square kilometres. Why in the World would the energy producers want to place a potential pollution producing industrial site where an important spawning area is? Are you telling me that with as much area as BC covers, there is no other suitable place to build the plant?

I DID enjoy Leonardo in 'The Revenant'. At least when he is given lines to speak he does well -- better than when he gets on his soap box and proves his lack of ability to connect with the real world. A 5 billion pop'n IS perhaps sustainable - - - but it is much more than that. We need to deal with what is. I'm a believer in governments strenuously regulating, but not in favor of poorly informed environmental protesters.

Hello RDT1944 - from Calgary, where it is now snowing, at zero degrees C - so right on the edge of snow/rain.

I haven't seen The Revenant. I was a full-time mountaineer from 1998 thru 2003, and find many of these movies also unrealistic.

But let me ask you - who among us is reality based on the environment???

I am reading a truly fascinating book right now, being an oilpatch field geologist for eighteen years before my mountaineering avocation. It is titled "The Oracle of Oil", just out, and is about Marion King Hubbert, the United States Academy of Sciences geophysicist who famously called the end of peak production of conventional oil in the US.

What is most fascinating is the usual concerted opposition at the time of his prediction, ca 1956 and then afterwards - the same old business as usual interests up against real brains and integrity - in fact the oldest story that I know of - the struggle for survival - best depicted for a modern citizenry by Star Wars - our Dark Side vs the Jedi Knights, of whom I consider King Hubbert one, along with James Hansen, Carl Sagan, JFK, you get the picture...

Before I went into the oil business in 1979 I researched nuclear, as I then thought (university days), that looking for uranium might be an honorable way to spend my time earning a living. I encountered "Project Plowshare", and being - I fancied myself, a good scientist, I dismissed nuclear from my mind, as I considered these proponents of nuclear little better than crazy. I just read in the aforementioned book that King Hubbert did the same - and his thoughts on Project Plowshare coincided with mine in no uncertain terms, Hubbert's thoughts on Plowshare being: "Project Screwball".

My time as a wellsite geologist was honorable, to my way of thinking, I was in fact a Canadian Hunter, so to speak, bringing back the bacon.

At that time I didn't know about CO2, but should have I suppose, having read Gilbert Plass's landmark Scientific American paper "Carbon Dioxide and Climate" (1955 or 1956), as part of my McGill University course on Marine Geology.

Even Hubbert, when asked to head the committee on mineral resources for the National Academy of Science report to JFK in 1961, stated loudly that no one man could possibly be an expert in all the relevant fields of a complex world.

To return to your original criticism - DiCaprio is undoubtedly doing his best - given his background. As an artist, I am presuming he sees clearly that we are in deep trouble - totally accurate!

Governments exist to protect nations - a fact of life it would do well to remember.

All that is left, as I see it on this snowy morning - is to choose sides.

We are all warriors in the final analysis - some better than others - as it has always been.

But we can at the least respect those who fight on our side.

And the same trojan horse as Harper.

Oh Canada
Our stolen native lands
True patriot love
For corporate commands?
With grasping hearts we see thee rise
The True North bought and sold
From far and wide
Oh Canada, we have fallen asleep on thee
. . . . . . . . .

Much much appreciated information.

Common Dreams is the one web newsletter that is easy to engage in discussion.

I connected with it, I believe after a street corner discussion with an activist for Obama in Cottage Grove Oregon in September 2008.

Sometimes I’m a bit flippant, when I participate, but for the most part try to remain polite. Better chance of rational, if somewhat opposing (yours) views in response.

Thank you, Michael.

It is raining a bit here. farmers with crop still not harvested are attempting to swath so that next spring they may harvest and thus avoid burning.

Mice are reported in hordes and coyotes are becoming overweight.

Dave Whitehead,
North Battleford SK.

Nice to meet a fellow Canadian !

I think we agree more than disagree - I like the format on Common Dreams also.

I used to blog intensively on the BBC World site, when Richard Black was their top environmental reporter. He left in mid-career, due to increasing pressure from the BBC not to upset 'business as usual', I presume.

These days I blog much less than before - but I've developed some hard edges I believe.

I think all of us who are, I suppose, 'veterans' of the environmental blogging wars, if I may characterize them as such, realize to varying extents how much the game has been fixed in favor of modern capitalism and real war - money - money - money - with the duty of the soldier to 'protect' left far and away.

We are stymied in our attempts to head off environmental Armageddon - and that includes all of us - even our most vaunted eco-warriors, such as James Hansen at Columbia, former head of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Lord Martin Rees at Cambridge (UK astronomer Royal - currently involved with CSER, the Cambridge Centre for Existential Risk), Michael Mann, Richard Alley, E.O. Wilson, and on and on ad infinitum.

We react differently to this total lack of any semblance of democracy. Some intensify their efforts - Al Gore circled the world like a spaceship in orbit for many years, James Hansen is still gung-ho trying to influence as he can, etc...

I am wondering, not that these approaches should not continue to be tried, but rather what can I do other than live a much simpler life?

Just now it seems that simply having real discussions out in public is warranted, although I could not explain why - it's a gut instinct I suppose.

Eventually the proverbial s... will hit the fan - seeing is believing will happen worldwide - and these discussions will have been background - homework if you will, for the very tough decisions we will then be making, or at least our children will be facing.

I cannot stand by and do nothing.

I once canoed solo from Rocky Mountain House to Prince Albert - about 600 miles, nineteen days, but gave up my idea to go all the way to Montreal solo at that time.

You are on the North Saskatchewan if memory serves? I once canoed with Peter Whitehead and The Historic Trails Canoe Club - any relationship??

Ciao from Calgary

PS: De Smog Canada is looking into Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain LNG pipeline - you might be interested: