Home | About | Donate

Five Great American Hypocrisies

Five Great American Hypocrisies

Paul Buchheit

American 'exceptionalism' exists in the minds of super-patriots who are more than willing to overlook their own faults as they place themselves above other people. The only question may be which of their self-serving hypocrisies is most outrageous and destructive.

1. Corporations Hoarding $2 Trillion in Profits, Asking Taxpayers to Pay Their Employees' Wages

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
--President John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thank you, Mr. Buchheit, for being a voice of informed reason and truth-telling in an era of obfuscation, corruption, disinformation, graft, and every betrayal under the sun.

This is a truly disgusting, and worthless country! Every day I am more ashamed to admit I am an uh-merikkkan. Gaia should wipe this country off the planet b4 our elected terrorists and their handlers can do anymore damage!

My mother died last month. She was 93 and lived thru the Blitz in London, she lived a long life that was filled with many memories.

Memories which were stolen from her in her final years as she suffered from dementia.

The one memory that did not fade was the sound made by the German V1 'Buzz' bombs.

In 80 years, the children who survive the droning of the Middle East will die with the memory of terror in their ears. So will everyone else who lived under that inhumane bombardement.

Calling this mere evil isn't enough.

If money is free speech then free speech is not free.

Bernie is the only viable candidate that would address these hypocrisies. His strategy is to bring about a new revolution that seems to depend on people hitting the streets to protest and back him up.

He could also suggest a more productive democratizing strategy that takes advantage of our modern technology: voter initiatives and binding referendums aided by encrypted electronic voting. By representing ourselves, we eliminate money in politics.

Who's afraid of direct democracy?

I'm not.
I am a not quite citizen who has resisted for more than 30 years because of exactly the conditions outlined n this excellent article. I have finally taken the plunge (passed the test, swearing in in January) for two reasons: If I am a citizen I can run for office and maybe make a difference that way, but secondly because I don't want to get deported for speaking out against the many iniquities that exist. The mere fact that I think this is a real possibility speaks for itself.
My proposed solution is to rewrite the Constitution. Get some non-partisan group to draw up a draft which can then be discussed. Even if it never gets ratified, I can't help feeling that the process of looking at what creative interpretation of the Constitution has allowed to happen, and really thinking about what how we want the country to be administered, would be a highly instructive exercise.
Does anyone agree?

Haha! Thanks WiseOwl, true to your name.

In this context, this article, what does this mean? There are vast numbers of people in racial and economic marginalization from whom America seems to want nothing but their presence in the jails and prisons.

You might want to read a text on American History. The Constitution was written in the first place to rectify the weaknesses in the Articles of Confederation. After we declared our independence from the British Empire, the national government was a loose confederation of independent and sovereign states. The cental government was limited in what it could do (the states were sovereign) and had no power to tax. We had to borrow money from the French to finance the Revolutionary War. The Constitution that was written gave Congress an unlimited power to tax and made the national government sovereign. The problem with doing this again (scrapping the Constitution and writing a new document) is that you risk throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The Constitution was written to set up a new country, independent of the big bad British. A totally laudable goal. But that was in the 18th century, when you got from one place to another on foot or horseback, and communication was face to face. Then there were 13 colonies, now there are 50 states.
As i said, it may not be adopted, but is there not some merit to reviewing how and why the country operates?

You make some very good points, but you lost me when you brought up the 2nd amendment.

I think the train is already out of the station Gator, and you have been left behind. Most gun violence in the US is onesy, twosy. The US does most of its mass murder in other nations.

How do those last 2 relate to gun control or lack thereof?

I agree - we need to "revisit", and revise, the 2nd amendment ....