Home | About | Donate

Five Ways Coronavirus Is Deepening Global Inequality

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/21/five-ways-coronavirus-deepening-global-inequality

1 Like

“Access to the COVID 19 vaccine , once it’s developed, will determine the scale and speed of recovery from the pandemic.”

According to many scientists, development of an effective vaccine is a big “if”, and not a given. I have no doubt a vaccine will be rolled out, the question becomes will it be effective long term.

2 Likes

Sorry, I have to call “bullsh*t” on the “Gender Gap” claim -

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control reported that the male-to-female ratio for COVID-19 deaths across the EU was 2.1. The U.K.’s [Office for National Statistics] (ONS) reported that rate of death due to COVID-19 for males was double that of the rate for females. For reasons that remain unclear, the novel coronavirus appears to present a significantly higher mortality risk to men than women.

If there’s a “Gender Gap”, it’s the males who are suffering

In five segments, author Kunal Sen spells out the Coronavirus effect on inequality.
Is there a sixth?

Trump ordered his border agents for years to pull away migrants’ children from their families, and send them in different directions.

This pandemic has all of us pulled away from each other; no in-person visits with the elderly, no handshakes, no hugs.

Is this justice? Perhaps their cries were heard.

^https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/seattle-fishing-boat-outbreak-suggests-antibodies-protect-against-coronavirus-infection/

That’s good news, but over the last few months I’ve seen stories out of China, S. Korea, and Japan, that claim a certain % of recovered infected patients had been re-infected. Whether it was due to a different ,strain, or some other factor, at the time of the articles, doctors couldn’t explain it.

Somewhere in all the information that I’ve tried to absorb is the fact that the different stains of this virus indicated that it mutates and as it changes newer vaccines will be needed. On the other hand as it mutates it becomes less destructive to its host which means that the newer strains cause less severe illness.
Lets us praise those scientists who are devoting time and energy to these studies.

1 Like

I have read the same information about the mutations, it seems viruses do this to “stay alive”, a way of adapting to their environment. What I’ve been wondering, and haven’t seen any information about it, is how will this 1st wave and 2nd wave behave/interact in an area where the 1st is still predominate, when the 2nd arrives?

Something else I read is the premise (if you can call it that) is that this virus is new or novel therefore not much is know about the behavior. So the studies continue…

How do you like them thar apples?

1 Like