Home | About | Donate

Flint’s Water Crisis Wasn’t Just a Blip. Our Water Standards Need Bold Change.

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/27/flints-water-crisis-wasnt-just-blip-our-water-standards-need-bold-change

1 Like

But we’ve got a military to pay for. We just can’t afford clean water.

2 Likes

Can we just send a delegation somewhere human beings have figured out how to keep alive? We could use some helpful hints! We seem to be Homo suicidus. Here in most exceptional USAmerica, we’re number one where it comes to slitting our own throats, evidently. Guerilla test-ops need to take over water quality monitoring. Our health is at risk to the degree we expect protection from official health agencies. When we really ramp up testing for ourselves, the scale of the water contamination problem will seem staggering, because it is.

Dangerous water keeps inundating municipal taps, one poor part of town after another. My God, look at what they’re doing to the poor people of Newark. Contempt like this has deep roots. Look at the decision to skip flu-shots for incarcerated immigrants… Maybe someone with credentials in Public Health has a job somewhere, I don’t know. Few and far between.

Forgive me for sharing my latest, even more horrifying realization, from astonishing recent studies: all the plastic crap we spew isn’t just swirling around in the ocean. It’s everywhere. My “Oh, shit!” moment: there’s so much microplastic even in the snow that fell to form the Arctic icecap, now it’s embedded in that fragile ice as it wastes away. Look for studies on how the radiative properties of microplastic particles might affect melting – there are none. That’s how far beyond the precautionary principle our ship has sailed.

1 Like

"Water is Life."

Therefore, a necessary priority.

This must be an issue to base any political support on.

1 Like

Require this water to be used by all politicians, with no bottled water allowed, watch how fast this problem gets fixed all over the country.

2 Likes