Home | About | Donate

Florida House Passes Bill Allowing Agencies to Discriminate in Adoptions, Putting Religious or Moral Beliefs over Children's Needs

Florida House Passes Bill Allowing Agencies to Discriminate in Adoptions, Putting Religious or Moral Beliefs over Children's Needs

TALLAHASSEE, FL - Today, the Florida House of Representatives passed a bill that authorizes state-contracted child placement agencies to deny children in State custody foster or adoption placements if the placement would violate the agency’s “religious or moral convictions,” even if those placements are in the best interests of the child. The bill, HB 7111, passed on a 75 to 38 vote.

Responding to today’s vote, ACLU of Florida Public Policy Director Michelle Richardson stated:

###

Aren't these type of laws establishing religion? Is this what is unconstitutional? It seems as simple and plain as "In God we trust" and "One nation under God" as establishing religion. Oh wait!!! I'm the dumb one. These phrases have been found to NOT be establishing religion by our SCOTUS. I'm so confused. I'm atheist but I still find the phrase, "God save me from your followers." so apt.