Home | About | Donate

Florida Is Burning. The Midwest Is Flooding. Why Aren't Democrats Debating Climate?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/25/florida-burning-midwest-flooding-why-arent-democrats-debating-climate

1 Like

The democrats are apparently believing that they , possibly planning on living in gated and protected communities, or in underground bunkers will be safe from We the Roving bands of Really Pissed off People!
Maybe you should realize that you are guarded by some of the We the People too, and maybe they won’t be as helpful as you think.
What will people eat, and will there be clean water to drink?
Maybe if all these wars and bases on the planet were stilled—maybe we might have a chance at long term survival. Remember democrats, Oil or Black Gold is as big a killer as Midas and his golden, but killer touch.

Duh, maybe because a majority of the party’s “leaders” – Perez, P’Loser, et al – are owned by Big Oil?

4 Likes

Oh my gawd, Chuck Todd is right. There really isn’t anything but superficial differences between the Democrats and Republicans. All hail Wall Street!

4 Likes

Until a massive Hurricane hits Mar a Lago (which it will) trump will never admit that something is wrong.I would like to see him try and sell it.No one in their right mind would buy it knowing that within 50 years it will be 3’ deep in water !!

Longstanding bipartisan policies turn out to be very bad for us. USA is principally responsible for the damage. Carbon emissions from warfare and military exercises are killing all of us. The most powerful men in finance are the worst ecocidal criminals in history. Our own hands are drenched in the blood of our children for having more important priorities than stopping the ecocide – the demise of Life on Earth – at all costs.

Nobody wants to listen to this kind of thing. It’s like Noam Chomsky, who has a leftist reputation, but whose writings never rely on a single disputed fact. The only way to deal with truthtellers like that is to utterly ignore them. Should be a reliable strategy for plutocrats who would eschew discussion of their ecocidal savagery.

1 Like

I am sick of this.

Just debate climate in every debate.

They just agree to answer different questions than they are asked:

Q. What do you think we should do about refugees.

A. Well, we welcome them. But let me explain one reason we have refugees- the climate crises is destroying habitats and forcing people to migrate. We need to take climate change seriously and I propose we…

Q. What do we do about Donald Trump’s obstruction of Justice?

A. Congress ought to investigate. Trump is not a good president and one of his worst crimes is inaction on climate change. Let me share some ideas about how we deal with climate change. First of all …

Q. Is it all right to be civil with segregationist?

A. Never. We’ve mistreated Blacks in this nation and we’ve seen too many time the heat of summer be a time when we’d had riots in our cities. Well, if we don’t address climate change we’re going to have hotter and hotter summers. One thing we can do to start to reverse that is to…

What is wrong with these candidates that they can’t take control of the debates? Are they a bunch of wimps?

Please, please, Mr. or Ms moderator, ask me a question about climate change or I can’t talk about it.

3 Likes

Bunch of stupid politicans and pundits don’t know how to take control of a narrative and think outside the box.

Do we really want a nominee who whines, “They wouldn’t let us debate the most impotant issue of the time? I have no agency. Wah wah wah wah wah.”

2 Likes

This is why the DNC jealously guards their control of the Democratic Party. People, this is not democracy!

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”—Schumer

The people don’t want a phony Democrat. If it’s a choice between a genuine Republican, and a Republican in Democratic clothing, the people will choose the genuine article, every time; that is, they will take a Republican before they will a phony Democrat. —

Harry Truman

1 Like

The question should be, “Why aren’t the Democrats doing more to Address the Climate Disaster?” Of course, the answer is obvious.

Their decisions are directly influenced with campaign funds from big oil, from transport and travel-related business interests, finance & insurance, automobile manufacturing and sales, aircraft & international tourism. Include the high-tech sector whose blatant lies about AV technology are convincingly presented to the gullible public.

I disagree with you on this one.

1. Many people view politicians who can’t answer a simple question with a fairly short direct answer without switching to the talking point they want to as exactly the politicians they can’t stand (and I agree).

2. Even if one politician does this successfully because they feel it is a very important point to make, if they other politicians don’t, then people don’t see the contrasted positions on the topic.

I’m not for Jay Inslee and I haven’t looked at it his climate policy in any detail (I heard him on Bill Maher and poked around a bit on his site), but I understand his point for wanting a dedicated debate. I still think he should just coordinate with all the other candidates and have a forum on it outside of the DNC (just don’t call it a debate), thus telling the DNC what he thinks of their mostly stupid rules.

It’s 5G. Clouds are shaped by ions and EMFs. 5G supplies both ions and EMFs and intensifies the clouds.

Severe weather of all types will be repeated and repeated so long as 5G remains turned on. With more 5G coming the intensification might shock us.