Home | About | Donate

Florida's "Deceptive" Solar Initiative, Backed by Utilities Companies, Loses Support

Florida's "Deceptive" Solar Initiative, Backed by Utilities Companies, Loses Support

Nika Knight, staff writer

As utilities companies funnel millions of dollars into a last-ditch effort to convince Florida voters to pass an anti-solar initiative, the latest polling data shows support for the measure

Amendment 1 limiting subsidies only to corporate large scale solar power production advances the goals of the Walton and Koch families to monopolize solar power production.

Amendment 1 looks to be even worse the Washington State's Initiative 732 "carbon tax".

Although a carbon tax is better than cap and trade, I-732 also includes reducing State sales/excise taxes and reducing business and occupation (B&O) taxes...neither of those reductions being a good idea in a state that has no income tax. If I-732 passes, Boeing and other carbon intense industries will get more of a B&O tax reduction than they pay in carbon tax...precisely what I would want if I were a big carbon intensive industry.

Fortunately the Sierra Club, Pramila Jaypal and other progressives have illuminated deceptive I-732. Unfortunately, Washington voters have a history of rarely meeting an initiative they didn't like and often don't let facts get in the way of hyperbole.

Sort of like the TPP deal. ALL ABOUT CORPORATE WELFARE!

I'm in Florida and fortunately found out this was a trojan horse for the power companies before it was too late, so I early-voted against the Amendment. Unfortunately, the power company PAC is inundating Floridians with TV ads saying to vote yes on Amendment 1 (all feel good ads about how great solar is, to lure the unsuspecting), and I don't see any TV ads warning consumers that it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Only the newspapers are revealing the truth behind this proposed amendment. I hope enough people learn the truth before it's too late.