Home | About | Donate

Following Illinois's Overdue Vote on ERA, Momentum Surges for One of These 13 States to Ratify Amendment

Following Illinois's Overdue Vote on ERA, Momentum Surges for One of These 13 States to Ratify Amendment

Julia Conley, staff writer

Following Illinois's long-awaited ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) this week, women's rights advocates turned their attention to the 13 states that have yet to pass the amendment, 46 years after it was overwhelmingly passed by Congress and 36 years after a deadline for ratification passed.

Better late than never. Plus it would make Phyllis Schlaffly & Grandpa Caligula rolls in their graves.

I know why there’s so much opposition—the amendment ends with the word ess-ee-ecks.

Thank you Illinois!

One more in order for Congress to extend the deadline …

Catholic Church and Mormon Church funded the campaign against the ERA -
with tax-exempt dollars.

Forty-six years ago, I remember the most flagrantly-touted argument against it was that it meant men and women would have to use the same toilets. The other arguments were just as ludicrous.

OK, as a man what would I lose or be forced to do? What are women being forced to do or denied without it?

As a man, you wouldn’t be forced to do anything or denied anything you already have.

This may be an advantage to men:

Groups that are against the Equal Rights Amendment also remind the people during a divorce, although it is the court that decides on who is better fit to have custody of the children, most often than not, women are awarded custody. However, with the implementation of the ERA, this will not be the case anymore. Moreover, women will not be supported by their husbands anymore in case of divorce.
http://visionlaunch.com/pros-and-cons-of-the-equal-rights-amendment/

The above article also states some of the advantages for women.