Home | About | Donate

Following Outrage, Trump Pulls Nomination of "Unapologetic Racist' William Perry Pendle to Oversee Nation's Public Lands

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/15/following-outrage-trump-pulls-nomination-unapologetic-racist-william-perry-pendle

4 Likes

And in today’s news, there was a bee in the bonnet yesterday, the day before, today, and there will be another tomorrow, and another the day after.
I gave up the day to day watching of disgusting appointments by trump and Mitch. It irritates my sensibilities.

6 Likes

“I gave up the day to day watching of disgusting appointments by trump and mitch.”

That’s exactly what they want, for us to become complacent with their horror show, don’t fall for it gandolf.

10 Likes

I know. It has been one of my fears for quite awhile now. The more we surrender, the more the right-wing policy of individualism creeps in. Divide and conquer. Recon, I believe you are the first to mention the fact that it is one of their goals to demoralize the masses.
And they don’t have to put much effort into it. We are feeling more and more desperate for a national response that just isn’t coming. We may have to go it alone whether we like it or not.

3 Likes

sigh—the nomination is puIIed —but what does that mean?—Has anyone ever run an agency that was an interim pick… that just never ended?

One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast…a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.

Edward Abbey

8 Likes

I like it. I’m going to google him right now.

1 Like

Aaaaaw, your in for a treat!

3 Likes

“Nothing new or conservative with neoconservative>”

1 Like

“Chump Installs Mr. Fox To Head Bureau Of Hen Houses”

2 Likes

“Secretary Bernhardt and Acting Director Pendley are using this crisis to hand our public lands over to the oil and gas industry, and are silencing communities in the process,” Rep. Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz., said at the time in a statement. “Native Americans are contracting and dying from coronavirus at an alarming rate, and the Trump administration should be working to make sure they have the resources they need to stop deaths, not keep drilling at record speed.”

Alleen Brown, The Intercept

2 Likes

I’ve been working my way through Hannah Arendt’s The Origins of Totalitarianism seeking to understand the political pathology that we are dealing with currently and has been dealt with historically many times before in many other places.

Here a quote that struck me as I read this piece today: Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.

Sound like any administration that we know?

16 Likes

Early in my career, I worked at a state agency headed by a narcissistic politician who thought he could climb to the top of the political power structure. In addition to his narcissism, he was extremely insecure and consistently surrounded himself with sycophants and weak and unintelligent people. His patterns of conduct so closely mirror those of Trump as to be quite eerie.

3 Likes

I guess nominating (and then presumably approving) Pendley was a step too far that would expose even further the destruction and pillage of public lands that has gone on for decades in the name of extractive and cattle (livestock) industries for over a century - as so thoroughly documented in Chris Ketcham’s excellent book, This Land: How Cowboys, Capitalism, and Corruption are Ruining the American West.

2 Likes

I believe the mass demonstrations are a sign for optimism not pessimism.
Democracy is a unique form of governance in that it requires an educated and involved electorate. Thus the attacks on education and the meddling with voter registration from the increasingly fascist republican party.
Even this internet is becoming a tool for dissemination and distortion, phony videos and even phonier pretenses at being actual news reporting entities when they are, in reality , tools of right wing propaganda.
OK, so I started with a note of optimism and ended with a lot of pessimism…we live in interesting times you betcha.
I do think we are many they are few, and there is a tipping point fast approaching where corporations which now run our government for all extent and purpose will greedy themselves right into a revolution. My fervent hope is that the coming revolution will take a peaceful form, with a mass participation in voting that sweeps these crooks, in both parties, the hell out of office.

I am a registered Green and believe the growth of third parties is an essential ingredient in this peaceful revolution.

3 Likes

The only reason this sorry excuse of a human being has been withdrawn is that there is an election coming and drumpf along with the most dangerous organization in the world are currently struggling. We only have to read an article like the following … ~https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2020/08/how-did-a-lawyer-who-took-on-big-oil-and-won-end-up-under-house-arrest/ … to understand the type of obstacles this planet and our democracy are facing. If drumpf manages to remain in office you can bet pendley will be renominated. Which is what makes removing every republican up for reelection so critical.

2 Likes

I hear you RMV. I must admit to having worked for a few of those myself. It’s troubling.

How can we encourage and create a different system of leadership on this planet? So much has to do with personality defects and how that plays out in the world.

1 Like

I’m hoping that some brave Attorney General will let both Trump and Mitch know.

“Once you lose the election. You are going to be held accountable and punished to full extent of the the law! Have a nice day!”