Home | About | Donate

Food Drops Are Not Enough. Expand Food Stamps Programs Now.

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/18/food-drops-are-not-enough-expand-food-stamps-programs-now

1 Like

“As heartening and important as these food drops are, they’re a supplement, not a replacement for what government can and must do.”

We must remember that government, as Lincoln so eloquently put it, is “of the people, by the people, for the people”.

Take Back America: November 3, 2020.
Save the date, save the nation.
Convert a nonvoter into a voter.

1 Like

Of course the food stamp program should be properly funded. But the ruling class is using hunger to force people to work for shit wages in dangerous jobs, as it has always done. This is a deliberate coercive strategy, not a lapse in conservative ethics.

3 Likes

While our government continues to drag its feet regarding the general welfare of the people, the Fed announced another round of assistance to the corporations, which resulted in the DOW rising by nearly 1,000 points today.

1 Like

this is frightening, with cost of goods and services going sky high more people will end up on the streets and our community has never been good at helping the poor.

1 Like

The right wing usually claims that people use their food stamps to buy steak and lobster. It’s not possible because here’s what I and my neighbor actually get: Me, an old lady, I get $15 a month because I’m deemed “too rich”; him, disabled, at poverty level, gets $165 a month–that’s about $5 a day.

2 Likes

Why do people call it the “Food Stamp” program here? As far as I know they haven’t used actual food stamps in almost three decades and it was renamed SNAP, which to me sounds more respectful of people who for whatever reason can’t afford to buy enough food on their own to stay nourished and need this assistance. “Food Stamps” like the term “Welfare” just seems to have a negative connotation in our society, especially since it isn’t even the name of the program any more. It’s especially disheartening to read writers that write for this progressive website using this regressive terminology.

1 Like

Right. The DOW is obviously the number 1 priority for this administration and its party of greedheads .

1 Like

Pierre Tristam’s article on SNAP was super. Hey, food should be a “human right”… like healthcare, housing, and education. (Note: there was a parallel SNAP article in In These Times last week.)

1 Like