Home | About | Donate

For Abuse of Office and Covering for Trump, Watchdog Group Files Formal DOJ Complaint Against AG William Barr

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/17/abuse-office-and-covering-trump-watchdog-group-files-formal-doj-complaint-against-ag

3 Likes

Okay, but everyone here already knew all of that stuff. There’s also a NYC Bar Association “call for a probe.” Unfortunately, I don’t see any indication of these opinions being any more significant than my own, which are invariably ignored. What happens next with these formal complaints? Your guess as good as mine. Probably nothing.

Our current system seems totally vulnerable to utterly shameless crooks like these, once they infiltrate the lion’s share of government. The core problem is systemic.

9 Likes

Well I agree with what you say but on the other hand these kinds of lawsuits can build pressure for prosecutions, though without a special prosecutor they will likely go nowhere. They can also build the record. Barr is looking more like John Mitchell every day, and Mitchell ended up in the Big House for conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and perjury.

15 Likes

Now we have to watch Dershowitz argue what Orangeman did does not rise to the level of an impeachable offense. And he doesn’t lose his job for spouting such contempt for the Constitution. In the current context, Nixon and Mitchell would certainly have skated.

9 Likes

100% agree they would have skated.

3 Likes

The Senate was a different story then.

3 Likes

Though many other crimes of Orangeman cause more immediate suffering, the specific violation they selected is a good one for covering the bases – damn near everything the framers worried about, embodied in a single scheme. In a sense, you don’t need anything further to make the point: If this isn’t impeacheable, nothing is.

6 Likes

Fred Wertheimer is an accomplished lawyer famous for pursuing these kinds of cases.

4 Likes

Yes I think they’re sufficient, but there are so many others that could have been included.

3 Likes

I agree. This is kind of the capstone on his career. The judiciary has changed for the worse over the years, though, needless to say. Any John Siricas out there now? We’ll see I guess, though it’s probably too late.

3 Likes

It’s quite possible that the Lev Parnas treasure trove has some evidence on Barr/Rudy collusion.

What it’s already revealed about the likes of several large Repub donors and Robert F. Hyde is kinda mindblowing. Rudy’s letter to Zelensky was, too. Much more to come.

4 Likes

I agree but the process in the Senate is too far advanced. In Watergate, the Sirico rulings were significantly before the impeachment, which enabled the tapes etc to become part of the record. Now we’ve got like only weeks and then a few months till the election. If Parnas testifies that may shake things up, though I don’t think the votes will ever be there.

1 Like

Well, less than a week ago, witnesses looked unlikely. Suddenly, they’re on the table.

5 Likes

Yes, but I still don’t think the votes will be there. If the objective was to publicize the crimes of the administration, the charge sheet should have been much wider, and not botched with the clumsy leadoff of Russiagate etc.

1 Like

To be clear, although the Mueller Investigation was definitely pushed by Democrats, the Trump Justice Department put it into motion. And yeah, as anyone with a clue predicted, it set a bad precedent.

That said, Trump is guilty as hell of the current impeachment charges. And the Dems only need three more Repub votes to call witnesses. Rudy on the stand, Bolton, Parnas, Mulvaney, would sink Trump.

2 Likes

It’s the Law that sets us free, not the truth. And that’s a bitter pill to swallow under any circumstance, considering that our Law is as corrupt as any gangster in the city who buys his freedom with the cash he just extorted from others he not even knew.

1 Like

Barr has been a GOP criminal for a long time.
His involvement in the Ukraine affair, and using the AG’s office as a personal hit squad for Trump, are well-known.
Regardless of whether Moscow/China Mitch allows a fair Trump impeachment trial, the House should investigate Barr and expose how he has betrayed his oath of office.
When you wish Jeff Sessions was still AG, you know how bad Barr is.

5 Likes

Dershowitz is part of the Jeffrey Epstein crew, as is Trump.
His real name is Doucheowitz.
And those aren’t the only child molesters Trump has had in his mafia.
Check out his George Nader, a convicted sex offender, no relation to Ralph, and another of Trump’s mob scum bags.

3 Likes

GOOD! Boot his ass out!

2 Likes

The votes aren’t there for conviction, so no. Re Bolton, be careful what you wish for.

2 Likes