Home | About | Donate

For First Time Ever, Majority of House Dems Support Single-Payer Healthcare

For First Time Ever, Majority of House Dems Support Single-Payer Healthcare

Nika Knight, staff writer

As President Donald Trump and the GOP attempt once again to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) with a much crueler bill, House Democrats are pushing in the total opposite direction: as of Thursday, a record 104 have signed on to co-sponsor a Medicare-for-All bill.

After marching in Sacramento yesterday with 1,000 of my fellow residents, I am high off the knowledge that it is we the people who have the future in our hands. I know it is only the people in the streets and town halls and making phone calls to our state senators that pushed the democrats to vote YES on a Guaranteed HEALTH CARE FOR ALL bill. It is only the first committee hearing for the bill, SB 562, in a battle which will take place over the next 2 years but it bodes well for us as many of the marchers were first timers to come to such an event and for many, far from home .

Now it is your turn wherever you live. GO AMERIKA - we can finally be the country we have always believed we were. NOW IS THE MOMENT!

Love from Vermont! Go California! Let the domino effect begin. Here our libraries have shown an overwhelming response to help educate every Vermonter on how Improved Medicare For All will work. We are a small state and will be helped by a National Plan going forward or a regional plan--will NY be next? And Massachusetts? Let's do it!

I think Caly is much more important than the feds because whatever comes out of the watered-down Dem national version (after all the "pragmatic" compromises) will not resemble anything like healthcare for all. The owners of the Dem Party will not allow that, no matter how many claim to support Single Payer now.

But Caly may be able to pass a real healthcare law. In any case, as you say, it will take people in the streets to get the Dems off their bought-and-paid-for-asses to do anything about anything that is any good.

PS: I never talk about Rethugs because they are a waste of time, though national Dems are close to that as well.

Glad you are back, Tom! You missed all the bashing of Green Party supporters--aren't you sorry?

Anyhow, your points are good but we are proceeding in Vermont according to Margaret Flowers 5 year plan. Hope Minnesota gets active too.

Of course Congressional Democrats are behind single payer now that Congress, the White House and SCOTUS are firmly under GOP control assuring that there is zero chance of it ever originating in DC.

California and the handful of other states not under the GOP's thumb are the ONLY hope for an originating state to create the momentum and critical mass essential for widespread single payer.

We all know that the only reason so many Dums are 'supporting' single-payer is that they know it can't get through the Repugs that are in control. The state-level actions are far more promising.

Why are the Dems. supporting this now, when they didn't during the debate for the ACA? Is it because they are the minority party and know it probably won't pass? (I hope I'm wrong and it passes). Are they really standing up to their overlords of ins. co, and big pharma? Are they just interested in getting re-elected?
I just don't believe (most) of them anymore

Bizarrely history may even credit Trump for his outrageously cruel attempts to starve the already meager social security structure in this country even more, to have awakened the American majority to reality, after they have been intoxicated for generations with fraudulent misrepresentation that “this is the greatest country on the planet”.

Exactly my thoughts. The Dems in Congress only manage to have 'courage' when they know that the proposed legislation won't even get a vote. HR676 has been around for at least a decade and when the Dems have had control of the House, they find other ways to not move the legislation forward. California is our only hope and the money is pouring in to oppose their single payer system from being implemented. Let's see if the Dems there will not be bought off like they were in Colorado.

It's tiring arguing with those who somehow think that if every democrat is not an automatic vote for something like Medicare for All then that means that democrats are simply in cahoots to make sure it never happens. Personally, I call BS on that type of simple-minded thinking. Democrats are people. They don't all think exactly alike.

I'll just repeat myself:
It's tiring arguing with those who somehow think that if every democrat is not an automatic vote for something like Medicare for All then that means that democrats are simply in cahoots to make sure it never happens. Personally, I call BS on that type of simple-minded thinking. Democrats are people. They don't all think exactly alike.

Yes, they are. And as such they have a natural instinct for self preservation/enrichment. That is, where susceptibility to bribery kicks in, in form of campaign contributions. And where has that comes from historically?
And thus you have a government ruled by corporations.
The Citizens United Act exacerbated that and increased the power of (large) corporations over government even more.
We have to put an end to that by selecting a brand new Congress staffed with people with moral backbone.
There is a force building, doing just that, as the Justice Democrats (https://justicedemocrats.com/), uniting the efforts of 'Brand New Congress' (https://brandnewcongress.org), with Bernie’s own ‘Our Revolution’ https://ourrevolution.com/action/ ) and using the powerful video news organization 'TYT' (https://tytnetwork.com/) as their megaphone to the public.

Those Democrats not supporting universal single payer should be primaried. Universal healtlh care is one of the fundamental rights of Americans, under the IX Amendment, not to be bargained with and watered down in order to satisfy Blue Dogs, Yellow Dogs, or any other conservative dogs.

I don't want to rain on your joy parade but, kind of reminds me when the Republicans were trying to repeal the ACA when Obama was POTUS. No chance of succeeding, but it looks good. Let's see what they do when it counts. This is fluff, Democrats have zero power and this has zero chance, looks great...lol. Until we end the oligarchy, this is silly and naive to talk about.

Of course it's because they know it won't pass.

This is how the game is played. Everyone should know this by now. But if you didn't, here's your chance to see it in all its undeniable glory.

And note how John Conyers is heading up the push. He's been running this scam for years. Back in the Bush II days, he became the darling of the Democratic base by attempting to run investigations into various Bush admin crimes. Only poor John was blocked at every turn by the mean old Republicans who had majorities in congress.

It was all a charade, as became clear in 2006, when the Democrats retook the house and senate. Suddenly, with the Democrats in the majority, and in control of the various committees, Conyers had free reign to really kick ass and take names. What did he do?

He became the go-to guy for the film industry lobby. And all those investigations? They quietly disappeared.

Has anyone noticed that no matter how many Dems agree, it doesn't mattwr?

You have to count Joe Lieberman as a democrat if you want to say the democrats retook the Senate. Do remember (or learn) that politics are sometimes best played by pointing out a need for something better, for instance, instead of meekly staying quiet, than to try to settle years old issues when there is plenty of new stuff that needs attention.

silly statement. it does mattwr. it has mattwred many, many times.

I have personally already contacted Bernie Sanders about this and have alerted other single payer activists. A public option is b.s.