Home | About | Donate

For First Time in History, a State Generates More Annual Tax Revenue From Marijuana Sales Than From Alcohol Sales

For First Time in History, a State Generates More Annual Tax Revenue From Marijuana Sales Than From Alcohol Sales

WASHINGTON -

DENVER — For the first time in history, a state has generated more annual revenue from taxes imposed on marijuana than from taxes imposed on alcohol. According to the Colorado Department of Revenue, the state collected nearly $70 million in marijuana-specific taxes and just under $42 million in alcohol-specific taxes from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015.

###

Interesting stats, here. But I'm not so sure Colorado growers really want other states to change their pot laws right away. Seems to be a nice, sales friendly talking point, though. Colorado needs, however, to raise their taxes on alcohol. That will make up for all the revenue lost ( market share ) when California and Oregon legalize and retail pot and all the spin off products created. Now, if only the market for hemp products was racheted up; that would really be something to get stoked up about.

In Colorado the talk in the pot business is that the state has about 10-15 years before all of its neighbors have legalized and regulated their own cannabis. Just like Las Vegas sooner or later other states legalized gambling, but Vegas is Vegas. And Colorado is still the first. What this state has done is push the envelope to incredible limits. Hemp is slowly starting to make its appearance as a profitable product. Not to say that it's a weak brother but so much attention has been given over to the recreational aspect that the industrial side has been overlooked.

I cannot wait for the other idiots to get their head out of the sand and push this nationally. These states are making money, crime is down, and the world did not end. 40 years of a failed drug war are enough, they were wrong and need to not only admit it but release all the people that they ruined with the fallacy of all drugs are bad!

In Oregon pot is already legal to have and grow. In October sales of recreational pot at existing medical dispensaries will become legal. I think they'll just be selling pot for now, not edibles or anything else. Supposedly that will change next year.