Home | About | Donate

For Grasping Scope of Climate Crisis and 'Fully Embracing Green New Deal,' Youth-Led Sunrise Movement Endorses Bernie Sanders

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/09/grasping-scope-climate-crisis-and-fully-embracing-green-new-deal-youth-led-sunrise

2 Likes

These youth would never be excited by the likes of a Joe Biden. Hey DNC pull your heads out of your asses. You have a winner with Bernie. You blew it in 2016. Don’t do it again. These youth are the future of the Democratic party. Go home and count your spoils from corporate lobbying past, but do the right thing.
BERNIE 2020!

13 Likes

Bernie + Elizabeth, support them, elect them, for the good of our country and for the welfare of our planet,

1 Like

Perhaps you forgot that the DNC is one half of the ruling corporatist junta in Washington, DC.

THE DNC does not “have a winner” in Bernie Sanders. “Winning,” for the global corporate junta, means preserving the plutocratic status quo. Bernie, for the DNC and the GOP equally, is a loser. He represents a dire threat to their continued monopolization of wealth and power. He represents a threat to their continued ownership of the global economy.

Trumpo the sick clown, on the other hand, is a winner for BOTH halves of the corporatist junta. The DNC would much rather lose to Trumpo (ie, WIN WITH Trumpo) than witness a Bernie victory.

Let’s be candid, shall we?

5 Likes

I would still like to know, how it is that building up infrastructure of renewable equipment…will help… all that is being done, is keeping the Capitalist steam engine running. It takes 53 diesel truck loads of cement to make the foundation for one wind turbine…and cement is the most co2 intensive activity that humans do. Are we really going to INCREASE our EXTRACTIVE INDUSTRIES just so we can make more plastic picnic ware, kitchen utensils, plastic cups for Dunkin Donuts ( all those special cold drinks)… the “stuff” for concessions stands at professional sports stadiums?.. oh and the electricity for professional sports stadium?.. Electricity for Disney?.. I thought the planet was DYING, yet, we still want our cake and eat it, too. Why, if we need to REDUCE emissions sssooo drastically, are we NOT, doing something DRASTIC?.. we could REARRANGE our economy in ways to accommodate people if certain industries WENT AWAY… I DO NOT CARE… if people are upset… Another thing that renewable obsessors are doing, is forgetting we are in THE SIXTH MASS EXTINCTION… why would we go around the world and continue to dig up massive amounts of rare earths… silver, copper, aluminum…(boxite)… and all other resources to massively build up this fantasy world …. and I have read that, with the amound that ENERGY DEMAND HAS INCREASED, since (I think from the 90’s but I forget)… all we have done so far with the renewables we have already built… is NOT keep up with that demand… in other words, that demand, outstripped the increase in renewable energy production… so, we are STILL behind the 8 ball on that… so, doesn’t that tell us that "Gee, it might be smart to CUT ENERGY DEMAND DRASTICALLY, rather than just try to build a fantasy world based on renewables… we do not even have TIME to build something that would provided that energy for a “cake and eat it too,” economy… are just screwed is what it really comes down to. Seriously, if we can not see that it is DEMAND that is a huge problem ALONG WITH FOSSIL FUEL DESTRUCTIVENESS… we are lost. It is our lifestyles our expectations, that are killing us and everything else… Humans, too greedy and impractical… HUBRIS is our weakness.

2 Likes

Sadly, even Bernie isn’t immune to having to playing the oldest political game of them all.

It breaks down like this: No one ever gets elected by telling voters they’ll have resign themselves to having less.

2 Likes

A lot less… and as the situation gets worse …nothing…not even their…health…

2 Likes

For any who care to pause and reorient premises free from the sclerosis of solipsistic politics of predatory capitalism, one of the most eloquent presenters I’ve ever encountered is Wade Davis, formerly Explorer in Residence at the Natĺ Geographic Society. A talk from 2013 that can melt the most frigid conservative and smack up-side the head any hyperideated neo-liberal.

Hope you enjoy and share … and then take a listen to a more recent talk on a topic seeing increasing critique: surveillance capitalism

3 Likes

When it comes to addressing the climate crisis and climate justice Sanders is really the only candidate who I have confidence will move boldly and forcefully despite the political backlash that will come from the establishment. Warren is my second choice but I have doubts that she will be able to act without being too willing to make key compromises that undermine a needed transformation.

1 Like

Now it’s time for the Sunrise Movement and other climate/environment oriented groups to turn the endorsement into boots on the ground activism and votes. That means demonstrations and activism in support of a Green New Deal but also convincing the youth to turn out to vote in droves. Then continuing to remain active in communities after the election and regardless of the results.

2 Likes

I’m a doomer, man. But at least Bernie acknowledges the extent of the problem.

3 Likes

Hilarious story in politico today.( I do read their columns for laughs)
They were saying in the article that while Bernie had attracted super stars like Ocasio-Cortez, Biden had also attracted some huge stars.
Biden had John Kerry, who helped him draw 700 people to one event!
Yeah right, that John Kerry is one exciting fellow! LOL

BERNIE 2020

3 Likes

Bernie Sanders is clearly the best presidential candidate. However, the Green New Deal is just a phrase so long as the corporations and governments that profit from fossil fuels continue to do so.

1 Like

Like when Hillary said “We will never ever ever have universal healthcare”in this country? How could she not get elected with lines like that? Lol

Bernie 2020

4 Likes

I love you Liz; but, it’s time to prove you are part of our team. We need you to replace Schumer as the lead in the Senate. Teamwork is how you can make the dream work.

4 Likes

Hillary went up against the healthcare industrial complex when she a modicum of idealism and took a butt-whooping. Unfortunately, her takeaway was to accept half measures while cozying up to the interests who stand in the way of progress instead of fighting harder for real reform.

Voters are pretty obtuse, but seeing through Hillary isn’t exactly brain surgery.

1 Like

Only ONE can get the nomination! Warren needs to bail and support Bernie…NOW!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the video. Davis has clearly led an extraordinary life. His stories are fascinating and show many alternatives world views.