Home | About | Donate

For Immigrants – And All of Us – A Time to Fight

For Immigrants – And All of Us – A Time to Fight

Bernard Weisberger

It has so far annoyed but not really surprised me that Donald Trump, despite being an obnoxious bully, has defied expectations with a steady rise in the public opinion polls. It may be that his buffoonery and megalomania are simply more attractive to some early voters than rival candidates, with their solemn professions that what pushes them into the grind of campaigning is their dedication to promoting the public welfare.

Willful ignorance has been metastasized in America for a long time. It serves the troglodytes well in preventing progress. I know many very well "educated" (read trained) people are infected. Perhaps they want Papa Trump to tend over them. What could go wrong?

Stop immigration? Stop the wars!

Are you HARPING on this point due to the Jewish-sounding last name of the author? The subject of the article is America's history and melting pot... Israel is not relevant to the discussion.

I suspect Trump is saying what many on the right wing think. When it comes to immigration, there is a bigger issue that today's middle classers can't even seem to grasp. Think about it, though. In real life, not everyone can work (health, etc.) and there simply aren't jobs for all. The US shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s, and even liberals have ignored the consequences -- which have been quite ugly. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 people who are struggling to find one. What do you think happens to the 3 who are left out? Taking all of this into consideration, what is the impact of bringing in more people who are desperate for jobs? Will we treat them the way we treat America's poor? Would we provide assistance that we deny to fellow Americans? These are issues that people don't want to touch.

Nah, based on comments on several boards, this just seems to be anti-Jewish week for bigots.

Oh c'mon. The richest nation in the world with vast tracks of rural land? Where else is better equipped to take immigrants? The US is not in a sustainable situation because of huge inequality driven by greedy souless gits running the corporates and the administration. Besides, it's responsible more than anywhere for displacing the world's population. You're final WE don't need any immigrants says it all. YOU have obviously not been bombed out your home by the US. And your gratitude is to tell others too bad mate?