Home | About | Donate

For Indigenous Peoples Day, Tribes Return to Alcatraz 50 Years Later

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/14/indigenous-peoples-day-tribes-return-alcatraz-50-years-later

A note here from my past. In 1970 I was living in Berkeley, California and got involved in the protests on campus at UC Berkeley. I accidentally got involved in a protest with tear gas being thrown at us. In a moment of true defiance I threw back a spewing tear gas canister towards the cops and ran like hell. There were of course other protests at People’s Park and on Telegraph Avenue. But most of all I recall meeting one of the Native American protesters from Alcatraz Island on a bus going north out of San Francisco. We talked during the bus ride as my new friend relayed many stories of the protest and talked about himself as a Native American and his struggles to exist. These were some of my experiences in Northern California that shaped me into the progressive, compassionate,liberal, and enlightened human being that I am today. Now I am on the Big Island of Hawaii, where we have Indeginous People protecting their land and water. Mauna Kea is a sacred mountain for all Hawaiians, all peoples and I stand with these peoples in their quest to protect it. Learn from life and evolve to see that everything and everyone is connected. Peace

2 Likes

In remembrance of John Trudell, Russell Means, and Dennis Banks and the greater movement this
inspired.

With honorable mention to Marlon Brando. Seriously, I’m not making that up.

1 Like

Hi fern: Oh yes, I read that Marlon Brando would not accept his Oscar. He had an indigenous woman accept it for him. In accepting it more people would recognize Indigenous people : ) Happy Indigenous People Day.

2 Likes

Hi stardustlBID
Yes he had a principled position on this, he also sent a boat with provisions for the people.
Charlie Hill use to kid about it as one of the first Native American comics. Happy Indigenous People Day to you as well.

1 Like