Home | About | Donate

For the Greatest Benefit to Mankind: Dylan Wins Nobel for Literature

For the Greatest Benefit to Mankind: Dylan Wins Nobel for Literature

How does it feel. In a surprise announcement, Bob Dylan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature for ceaselessly creating "new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." Dylan has long viewed himself as part of that tradition: "I just opened up a different door in a different kind of way... I was just extending the line.” He's the first American to win the prize since Toni Morrison in 1993, and the first songwriter. Times a'changing, but he endures. Go listen to him.

Hooray!!! Love you Bob and thank you for having spoken to me and so many others over all these years. Your words are always with me.

Thank you for having shown how so many lives have as their only goal, "to be nothing more than something they invest in."

Congratulations!

He was great in the sixties, then he disappeared...

Absolutely inspired!--both the poetry and the award.

The bard brilliantly rode a wave with relevance stunningly absent today

no Peace/Prize merited by present human leadership and art.

As hollow as our prizes

Couldn't play the guitar; couldn't play the harmonica; couldn't sing. Damned good at not doing all three at all well and yet did them all brilliantly.We need more of it.

"Ah, they stone ya when ya start to realize
that they'll stone ya when you win the Nobel Prize...."

I'm so happy they gave him this well-deserved award while he is still alive! Maybe it will soothe the sting of the utter rejection he received from so many at the start of his career. He has been another of those "One in a Lifetime" people who change the past into the future right before our eyes.

I regard Bob Dylan as a truly great lyricist. I also liked artists such as the incomparable Elton John, Cat Stevens, Harry Chapin, Carol King, Joan Baez, Simon& Garfunkel, Roberta Flack, as well as the inimitable C., S., N. & Y.

I don't want to be a stickler nor that guy to say, "Folks, we are talking apples and oranges, here."

You don’t simply can’t appreciate literature, unless you have intimately read certain works of writers such as: Aristotle, Burroughs, Byron, Carroll, Cervantes, Castaneda, Crane, Dickens, Dumas, Emerson, Fitzgerald, Hawthorne, Hesse, Huxley, Joyce, Kipling, Longfellow, Orwell, Plato, Shakespeare, Shaw, Shelley, Stevenson, Thoreau, Voltaire and Yeats.

And, you truly love a few quintessential literary works such as:

Moby Dick
The Canterbury Tales
Last of the Mohicans
Great Expectations
Little Women
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
Crime and Punishment
War and Peace

And, on that note, ♬ "Congratulations Mr. Dylan!"

Bob has greater magnitude than any prize he could possibly be given.

There are many Nobel Laureates .

There's one Dylan.

Disappeared?
He's quoted on this site, alone, on a daily basis.

Try to play some of his stuff and you'll see how well he plays guitar.

The Nobel committee trolls the entire world. Unreal.

Anyone in this article would have been better, and I haven't even read all of them. When I heard this, I seriously thought it was a joke. Ugh. What a waste.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/06/haruki-murakami-named-41-favourite-to-win-2016-nobel-prize-in-literature

Haven't read them all...

How much of Bob's 54 year output are you conversant with to justifiably make such a comment?

Because the 1970s "Blood on the Tracks" and "Desire" are nothing albums, and so is "Time out of Mind" from more than 20 years later. Sarcasm.

Read "Desolation Row".

This wasn't the peace prize, that goes to the likes of Kissinger.

So mostly English novels, or tales?

Sure would've been good to have Dylan's outspoken opposition to the Vietnam War, and the invasion of Iraq. Too bad about that.

He did write 'Masters of War'.