Home | About | Donate

Forest Service Rejects Project That Would Have Spelled Disaster for Grand Canyon

Forest Service Rejects Project That Would Have Spelled Disaster for Grand Canyon

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - Today the U.S. Forest Service rejected a proposal to widen roads and build infrastructure through the Kaibab National Forest that would have paved the way for a sprawling urban development near the southern entrance of Grand Canyon National Park. Stilo Development Group, an Italian corporation, sought to construct more than 2,100 housing units and 3 million square feet of commercial space including hotels, a spa and a conference center in the tiny town of Tusayan, a plan that would have threatened water resources and put wildlife in harm’s way.

###

Thank goodness. This is the first sensible decision by a Federal Agency in years!

The Grand Canyon is almost certainly the most spectacular place on earth (I have visited 74 countries and seen nothing that comes even close). I find it incredible that a project to build 3 million square feet of commercial space right on the rim would even have been considered.

And as an irrelevant footnote, I have to say that the national forests in general are a treasure. I have camped in about a dozen, and there is no better way to get close to nature. Kudos to the US Forest Service.

An all too uncommon victory for the commons

Wow! Good to hear. Last I had heard the development was supposed to be a done deal.