Home | About | Donate

Forget Big vs. Small Government. For the Rightwing, It's Only About Power

Forget Big vs. Small Government. For the Rightwing, It's Only About Power

Laura Flanders

Conservatives need to figure out where they stand on local power. Their views present a paradox, suggested The New York Times recently.

George Orwell said it succinctly, and today we experience the horror of the truth of his words:

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. . . . Power is not a means; it is an end . . . not power over things, but over men. . . . In our world there will be no emotions except fear, rage, triumph, and self-abasement. . . . There will be no loyalty, except loyalty toward the Party. There will be no love, except the love of Big Brother. . . . Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

The republican party in a nutshell.

"More have sought to pre-empt local regulations on things like local contracting, big box retailing and non-violent drugs."

I have never once met a violent drug. I've met violent people, sure. But the ones in the tailored 3 piece suits were the ones that scared me the most. Those are the ones that never get put in jail no matter what they do. Something about too big to jail is what I heard. Probably the same reason J P Morgan didnt get jailed after hiring hitmen to shoot striking workers.

To help understand the conservative mind:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/07/22_politics.shtml

Psychopathy in a nutshell. The Dems have plenty, too.