Home | About | Donate

Forget the FBI Cache; Podesta Emails Show How America Is Run

Forget the FBI Cache; Podesta Emails Show How America Is Run

Thomas Frank

The emails currently roiling the US presidential campaign are part of some unknown digital collection amassed by the troublesome Anthony Weiner, but if your purpose is to understand the clique of people who dominate Washington today, the emails that really matter are the ones being slowly released by WikiLeaks from the

And the way to overcome this dominance is?

The view is excellent from your point. It is so sad but true that we have gleaned so much from these emails. Many here have a good idea how it works but never have seen the exact workings and their hubris.
Great article.

Just the fact that Weiner's weiner is part of the political discourse again reminds me of the old adage that one is never really finished in American politics until you've been found in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.

Peace
Po

The problem is that what "we have gleaned" is a one dimensional perspective ...all about Hillary. Doesn't that sound suspect? What about Trump/Putin, McConnell/Ryan, GOP/KochBros, Adelson/Netanyahou, etc? From the Assange emails, is it possible to get a feel for whether Comey is getting ready to do a 'Hoover' on some politician who doesn't suit his personal political perspective? As you can see, I've lost all of my sense of trust on our current set of politicians.

True, Ru; but the article, if it included all villains would be too long to read,,

Trump is a different kind of abomination.
In Clinton's case these emails only reinforce her sense of absolute entitlement to the office; it is an ethos among the upper ranks of the party elites. Is it different within republican ranks? Probably not, but favoritism and cronyism from its elite ranks is not what got Trump to where he is today. The republican establishment despises him and wants Hillary to win; she is one of them.
Excellent article!

I am sure that Donna will be just fine. Hillary will probably hire her now to work directly for the campaign, like she did with Debbie W-S. There is no shame in this campaign. Whether you are Podesta, T-RUMP or the top brass at the DNC or RNC or Fox News or MSNBC news, you're all a bunch of thugs, out to steal this election or do whatever it takes to stay in power, one way or the other.

It mediocre, unimaginative, soulless elite. Same as it ever was.

It certainly opened my eyes. For the first time in my 75 years I financially supported a candidate, Bernie Sanders. Here in CA we can vote early by mail so I've already sent in my ballot and wrote in Bernie's name.

I disagree that all we have gleaned is about Hillary. The point of the article is that if you pull back from the Hillary aspect and look at it more broadly, it is a glimpse of how Government works in general. Hillary is not the only one that is corrupted. It is the same pay to play that the others you listed are doing as well.
That's why I voted for Jill Stein. We need to build the party of the people to challenge these thugs.

"As you can see, I've lost all of my sense of trust on our current set of politicians."

As have so many others. When that happens we all know what is soon to follow, as history, once again, repeats itself.

That's a mighty BIg "if" you're talkin' about, Dede. I don't disagree with you but IF is a very complicated word.

Since the enemy of my enemy is my friend, I may just vote for Trump. What a major FU that would be to these people. Let's just burn it all down.

And any of this comes as a surprise to anyone who has read history or a reasonably adult novel? Someone on this comment board asked how to overcome the dominance; the elite has always collapsed 'the world' before allowing their dominance to taken from them. We cannot expect any other outcome.

Agreed. And isn't it ironic that we succumb to the generally accepted practice of calling them "elite?" Attentive readings of the texts to which you refer reliably reveal "emperors sans clothing," where the meaning of that poor, mangled word is concerned. "Elite," indeed!

Capitalism, it seems to me, has clearly been exposed as a Darwinian selection mechanism for sociopaths. As Mr. Frank shows, the WikiLeaks Podesta trove exposes the extent to which said "elites" are organized in almost tribal units. The parallels with hereditary nobility are unmistakable. And the cognitive dissonance between that reality and the American founding myths probably has more than a little to do with the alienation that is so widespread these days.

Meanwhile, the climate clock keeps ticking...

Refreshingly frank and revelatory news commentary by Mr. Frank.

The Obama administration has been an epiphany to me on the Democratic Party abandoning its working class / middle class roots for greener pastures. But that's also my own fault for not seeing this sooner, as during the Bill Clinton administration.

This explains a lot in my dealings during the past 8 years with the Democratic Party and with Iowa politicians in DC. It's all about money and power; the rest of us out here are on our own.

Please consider Jill Stein. Yes she won't win but if she gets 5% of the vote then the Green Party will be treated with more legitimacy in future elections.

It's not like you get a lot of help connecting the dots. The mainstream media, for example, clearly aren't in the business of increasing your understanding of who's doing what, and why. (I frequently wonder how many of the national-celebrity "talking heads" could provide a cogent definition of the term "neoliberal.")

I was lucky enough to stumble across Robert W. McChesney's Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times when it was first published in 1999. It was a self-described alarm about the direction in which the media was heading (thanks in no small part to Bill Clinton's Telecommunications Act of 1996), and has proved to be prescient.

Thomas Frank published a critique of the more recent failings of the DNC-led Democratic Party earlier this year: I enthusiastically recommend his Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People. Lots of "dots connected" in that one...

Well said. I so agree. The rot is top down, the rebuilding must be from the bottom up. I too voted for Jill Stein in hopes of peace some day.
Drain the swamp is about the size of it. Trump should know, he plays in the same sand box as the rest.