Home | About | Donate

Former Guantánamo Chief Summoned by French Court Over Torture Allegations

From the article:
"Benchellali said he wanted "redress" for what he endured, stating, "I've been mistreated. I want those responsible to be called to account.""

Accountability? The US power structure does not do accountability.

What is not mentioned is that Miller also carried out his crimes against humanity at Abu Ghraib:

"In August 2003, Miller was sent to Iraq by the Department of Defense to advise on "more productive" interrogations of Iraqi prisoners. In September, Miller submitted a report that recommended "GTMO-ising" their approach - combining the detention and interrogation units at Abu Ghraib into the Theater Joint Interrogation and Detention Center. Specifically, Miller suggested that prison guards be used to "soften up" prisoners for interrogations."

The DoD (and Rummy) could spot a psychopath when they saw one. Miller is the quintessential psychopath:
A disregard for laws and social mores
A disregard for the rights of others
A failure to feel remorse or guilt
"Psychopaths are unable to form emotional attachments or feel real empathy with others, although they often have disarming or even charming personalities."

Read more here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

Quoting from WAPO..Army Spec. Charles A. Graner Jr., 35

"In perhaps the most famous of the photographs, he is the one standing behind the now-iconic pyramid of prisoners, all of them naked and hooded as he looks into the camera and smiles.

He is the one aiming his fist at a prisoner he has collared around the neck, kneeling on prisoners whose hands are tied behind their backs, and raising his left index finger in a "No. 1" sign as he squats next to a prisoner who is bruised, bandaged and dead.

In 1992, he was working at a county prison in Pennsylvania with guards who acknowledge beating up prisoners as a means of control.

In 1994, he made a fellow prison guard sick by spraying Mace into his coffee.

In 1997, he was accused by his wife of threatening to kill her.

In 1998, when he was working as a guard in a state prison, he was accused by one inmate of slipping a razor blade into his food.

Graner, who has been called the ringleader, faces charges of assault, maltreatment of prisoners, conspiracy, dereliction of duty, obstruction of justice, adultery and committing indecent acts."

What??? You mean Grainer had a commanding officer who might have known????

I don't believe in the death penalty, but I believe in the 'desert' penalty when one deserves death. Turn him loose in the 'way out back' with half a canteen full of very old water....and btw this elite,tired, old phk doesn't need a trial, history proves his guilt.

Viva la France!
It won't go anywhere, but it's nice to see General Miller get the Kissinger treatment--hope he didn't have any plans to get near France or its many former colonies.
Hey, you don't think that maybe France could extraordinarily rendition him at a time and in a manner of their convenience do you?
Then Hollande could do a "W" and piously pronounce that France does not practice torture as the General is loaded on a prison ship to sail endlessly around the world (because, see, in international waters it's not in France and well you know the rest of that gig).
The general will be force-fed Ensure meal in a can three times a day just like they do at Gitmo.
The general will spend his days practicing stress positions, like they did at Abu Ghraib under the general's tutoring.
The general will be serenaded to sleep with chainsaw rock played at pain threshold volume levels and under the watchful glare of zillion candlepower lighting.
Like at Bagram air base,the temperature will be kept at a cool and comfy 42 degrees Fahrenheit because we don't want the general to sweat this indefinite detention.
Maybe General Geoffie will also get some soul-cellmates like Johnny Yoo and Dougie Feith, who, like Nurmberg defendants who oversaw and validated the Nazi death camps, "were just doing their job" and never actually got their hands dirty with the day to day operations of the US gulag.
We can only wish!

Good. It would be nice if a British judge had the courage to do the as has the French one.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

God, he's a dreary looking bastard!

The US,by refusing to cooperate with numerous judicial systems investigating war crimes is breaking several international treaties and its own laws as well. It is showing the World that it is a nation that spurns the rule of law, spurns its own signature on treaties and spurns justice!

America's true colors shining forth?

I love everything you suggest, but unfortunately France has a civilized judicial system. So it can only happen in our dreams. Though even those dreams are satisfying.

More realistically France could issue an international arrest warrant, which would make it hazardous for that fiend to leave the US. :slightly_smiling:

Don't get your hopes up! The UK is complicit in the Iraq debacle

The world needs to get a Marshall to round up criminal fugitives from justice.

Well, the U.S.A. has established the precedent for extraordinary rendition. Who would object if France or Germany or Spain sent some special forces over here as civilian tourists, rented a few black helicopters, and snuck out of the country on a yacht with the culprits in tow, hooded and drugged into a stupor?

That's no longer illegal. Kidnapping for political purposes is not justifiable activity. I have a list of culprits eligible to stand before the Hague. I just added the name Rick Snyder to the list last night.

Archie, international laws and treaties apply to every other country except the exceptional USofA and Israhell.

The US refuses to join the International Criminal Court for exactly this reason: US war criminals must be protected.

And then there was "Nuremberg." Justice will be done and there is a long line waiting for their day in court! This Miller guy is just one of that very long line.

Can somebody tell me why these detainees can't file suit in US courts?