Home | About | Donate

Former US Allies Britain, France, Germany join Russia and China in Forcefully Rejecting Trump Iran Sanctions

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/21/former-us-allies-britain-france-germany-join-russia-and-china-forcefully-rejecting

4 Likes

Between this and other actions that infuriate our allies, my prediction is, this is the beginning of the end of US dominance and hegemony around the world. Fingers crossed.

11 Likes

One can only hope, unfortunately.

6 Likes

China’s $4600.00 ( approximately/25 yrs ) investment in each current Iranian speaks volumes to people on the streets of Tehran. Compared to Trump sanctions and bizarre saber-rattling, this " contrast " gives new meaning to " there goes the neighborhood ".
Yes, there goes that part of the world’s strategic turf, right into the hands of our biggest rivals. More de-stabilizing U. S. stupidity. And, we get what, again? Oh yeah, The UAE, Qatar(?) Saudi Arabia (?) and a bunch of other fundamentalist, radical Islamic rabble-rousers posing as royalty.

9 Likes

The straw that will break the camel’s back is worldwide rejection of the $US as the international reserve currency. The China/Russia/Iran & Associates consortium is working around the $US already, and I’m not sure how the EU plans to pay Russia for that nat-gas soon to be pumping through the Nord Stream 2 pipeline. Putin’s under so many US sanctions, he doesn’t give damn about payment in $US, so I’m guessing euros.

8 Likes

Israel with its lobby engages in massive interference in our political environment and elections as a major player and seems to largely get its way no matter how much damage that does to the US, or to Iraq, Syria, Iran, Lebanon, Europe (refugees).

Trump’s withdrawal from the Iran Nuclear deal is just one example of this destructive force.

10 Likes

Too early to tell, but this treaty withdrawal may be backfiring on the Trumpsters.
Iran is coming to terms with some major trade deals with China.

And actually, The Apartheid State of Israel and China have pretty strong relations – China is The Apartheid State of Israel’s third biggest trading partner.

So soon enough, the real peace broker in the MidEast will be China. And the USA will be an afterthought.

8 Likes

Are you, like me, sick to death of American shenanigans both legal and diplomatic? I don’t think that even the Soviet Union was a bad at destroying international relationships as the US is. In one sense it is a pleasure to see American influence dwindle internationally. Trump has fully destroyed its soft power. The only thing left to the US is hard economic and military power and these are subject to total rebound!

6 Likes

Oh Mr. Trump:
Iet us return to the days of yesteryear when your childhood…oh wait, you are stiII in it, aren’t you. Oh weII, here goes anyway:

The Cheese stands alone
The Cheese stands alone.
Hi Ho the Crazy Bro
The Cheese stands aIone! : )

2 Likes

This is as it should be. I expect the US under Trump to be all alone in a lot of international matters.

3 Likes

At least one bit of good news today

2 Likes

Finally, countries rejecting the AIPAC controlled U.S. govt and their bullying sanctions.

6 Likes

Swagman, sitting by your billibong?

CORRECTION: Britain, France and Germany are not “Former US Allies.” They are CURRENT US Allies. They just aren’t — and heaven forfend that they ever would be — Trump allies. They are on our side — not on his.

3 Likes

Excellent. I hope to see the entire world band together against the US sooner rather than later.
I frankly don’t care if my grandson will be speaking Mandarin as long as it brings down the bloated carcass of the US empire In spectacular fashion.
Time for another empire to trash the world instead of us.
If we don’t figure out our climate change ‘problem’ by about tomorrow it will all be moot anyway. …

6 Likes

Thank you for your insightful perspectives, Professor Cole, and thanks to CD for regularly publishing your work.

A much different perspective on Iran and global politics is made available to readers of local newspapers here in Dubuque and around the country, especially if the editors are pulling the news off the AP service wires.

Two recent headlines within the past week in the Dubuque newspaper illustrate my point, both from AP: “After Israel deal, Iran threatens ‘dangerous future’ for UAE,” and “US demands UN sanctions against Iran.” Both stories heighten the crisis involving Iran in favor of saber-rattling leading to war.

The Dubuque newspaper does not publish Professor Juan Cole, but will promote Trump with its last ounce of ink. While I’m in favor of local journalism, I get the feeling that I’m promoting bigotry and ignorance when I purchase the local newspaper.

2 Likes

As I predicted way back at the start of the 21st Century, the US Fourth Reich will sooner or later perform it’s own "Poland" and the disgusted world will strike back as it did against Nazi Grmany in 1939.
Sadly, with the weapons of this century, that will probably signal the end of the human race, and possibly the mass extinction of all life on earth. At the very least, it will exacerbate Mother Nature’s current efforts of mass extinction of what She no doubt sees as a very dangerous virus affecting her planet. Can’t say as I blame Her!
;-})

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about that too. It seems the world has finally had enough of our bullying, and are starting to stand up to our government. Have to admit it’s kind of surreal, thinking about the rest of the world aligning against us, like Germany in the 1930’s. I agree if it happens, it’s not going to end well for all of humanity.

2 Likes

Europe, Russia and China should be planning on Trump holding onto power one way or another. In that case, the world should get together and find ways to sanction the US which subverted the Iran nuclear agreement, is withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement, is endangering rare animals, and is intensifying its bullying of Cuba, Venezuela and generally other nations into submission. But if they stand together, the US will have to back off or pay the price.

2 Likes

And, I am afraid that price may be measured in Megatons.
;-})

1 Like