Home | About | Donate

Four Years After Flint's Water Crisis, Ellison Unveils Legislation to Make 'Clean Water a Right for All'

Four Years After Flint's Water Crisis, Ellison Unveils Legislation to Make 'Clean Water a Right for All'

Julia Conley, staff writer

Four years after the city of Flint, Michigan began using the heavily polluted Flint River as a drinking water source, resulting in the city's water crisis, Reps. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) on Wednesday introduced legislation to ensure such a catastrophe never again occurs in an American city.

“A waning federal commitment to public water infrastructure in recent decades has created a growing water crisis in our country, and our most vulnerable communities are taking the brunt of this disinvestment,”

Yet we have trillions for wars and massive tax cuts for the rich and the corporations. What a damn shithole.

“Clean water a right for all” is sooo 20th century.

Had Enron not gone bankrupt in 2000 their next target after manipulating energy markets was to manipulate water markets and jack up prices the way they did for energy.

Bankruptcy did not destroy the Enron players who simply dispersed and their various organizations have been working on controlling water supplies around the world ever since.

Mark Twain’s (alleged) 19th century admonition that “whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting” is more applicable today than it has ever been.

This isn’t just about Flint, Michigan –

The Water Affordability, Transparency, Equity and Reliability (WATER) Act of 2018 would strengthen the country’s neglected public water infrastructure in which aging pipes carry water and neglected sewer systems release 850 billion gallons of untreated sewage into rivers, streams, and lakes—resulting in thousands of cases of water-borne illness each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"We are one of the richest nations in the world: it is time to guarantee clean water as a right for all." —Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.)The repair efforts included in the bill would create nearly a million jobs, according to Ellison and Khanna, while providing clean water to millions of Americans.

Btw, Erin Brockovich continues to work also on clean water issues.

Our current SLOB government in the White House and in congress couldn’t care less about the “peasants” not surviving the assine government of Trump.

Dan _Harris… that’s the first thought that came to my mind… a shithole. Reminds me of a story I read today about a train of tanker cars carrying human feces from New York that has been sitting on the tracks somewhere in Alabama for a long time stinking up the place. This was to be used on crop production. There is a big problem in that citizens have no way of knowing what is actually in their food and water. Sickness as policy drives big pharma profits to obscene heights. The entire pill centered medical establishment is a fraud.

“The Water Affordability, Transparency, Equity and Reliability (WATER) Act of 2018”

I’m so glad to see they’re finally passing a law that will make water transparent. It’s about time.

Oh Gooody four years on and the people who decided to save money on the backs of the poor have not been held responsible and held accountable with punitive damages for making children and their parents sicker than our usual illnesses relative to poverty.

government officials weren’t satisfied with plain old poverty they had to poison the population of a city while they have been allowed to thrive. Who reading this think that things will change with new legislation ?

This is not a federal issue, it is a state and local issue

Are you a parent? I was born 73 years ago and from my experience and observation if parents do not guide and place responsible restrictions on their children, the offsprings often turn our to be undisciplined and less than honorable wasteful members of society. I use this as a metaphor of the need to regulated corporations and other industries. Whether federal or state people (and corporations are federally allocated to be “people”) regulations must be in place and people held accountable.

Furthermore the right to clean water is a human necessity and right. Corporations should not be able to make millions by selling and or other wise using and polluting the waterways of the world.

When colonial Americans settled into towns and then cities, they surrendered their individual rights to drill their own water wells to those municipalities. In return, the municipalities agreed to provide them with clean, drinkable water.

Flint, Michigan violated that agreement. It piped water poisoned with lead to residents. It has yet to provide safe water, has threatened to cut off supplies to residents who refused to pay for liquid poison, and now has cut off supplies of bottled drinking water to residents.

Unfortunately, it usually takes legislation to force any entity doing business in the United States to act ethically. I support Clean Water legislation proposed by Reps. Ellison and Khanna. The right to clean water belongs to every resident in the United States.