Home | About | Donate

Fourth Circuit Rules That Suspicionless Forensic Searches of Electronic Devices at the Border Are Unconstitutional

Fourth Circuit Rules That Suspicionless Forensic Searches of Electronic Devices at the Border Are Unconstitutional

Sophia Cope
In a victory for privacy rights at the border, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit today ruled that forensic searches of electronic devices carried out by border agents without any suspicion that the traveler has committed a crime violate the U.S. Constitution.

The ruling in U.S. v.

Fucking amazing people…today an obvious truth was recognized by Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals as an obvious truth. Miracles do happen I suppose. Well it’s nice to win one. But as I write this I know the fascists are hard at work scheming another way to get what they want. They are relentless. .

not legal but how is an individual supposed to stop them?

The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Incursions into American Citizens’ “right to privacy” increased after the attack on the World Trade Center, September 11, 2001. Beginning with “Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001”, facetiously called the Patriot Act, Americans have been required to surrender more and more of their immunity from “unreasonable searches and seizures” in the name of safety from “terrorist attacks”.

This court ruling is one more slow step in reversing an insidious rush to authoritarianism in a country that was founded to oppose to that very philosophy.