Home | About | Donate

Free People from ‘Dictatorship’ of the 0.01%

Free People from ‘Dictatorship’ of the 0.01%

Vandana Shiva

“The only way to counter globalisation—just a plot of land in some central place, keep it covered in grass, let there be a single tree, even a wild tree.”

This is how dear friend and eminent writer Mahasweta Devi, who passed away on July 28, at the age of 90, quietly laid out her imagination for freedom in our times of corporate globalisation in one of her last talks.

Yes, we need a world wide revolution. the 0,01% know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Reptilian brains I guess. When the planet turns on us it will turn on them as well. It is my only solace.

"Thus, corporations are trying to replace our democracies with secret agreements and secret courts controlled by the 0.01 per cent super wealthy. The time is ripe for a planetary freedom movement that defends and protects the freedoms of all beings from this 0.01 per cent."

When globalization pertains only to corporations of the .01%, perhaps the time is ripe for universalization. The universal freedom movement of the Universal Mind, otherwise known as the God we are manifest, whose knowledge is collectively revealed through this Internet.

Another brilliant article by Ms Shiva and as depressing as the realities of the Industrialization of our food system is it refreshing to still read these types of articles among the flood of "why you must vote Hilary" types that appear here.

Here in Canada and down South in the USA and the world over there only one Political party that makes senseand that is Green. The World can not afford to wait another decade to start addressing these issues and a presidency headed by Hilary will simply accelerate the process of destruction that goes on.

Vote Green. It the only logical choice and the only moral choice.

Dr. Shiva is one of the greater lights of this era.

Just want to highlight this section from Shiva's article:

Monsanto wrote the Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement of WTO — which is an attempt to claim seeds as Monsanto’s invention, and own seeds as “intellectual property” through patents. It has only one aim — to own and control seed and make super-profits through the collection of royalties...

Cargill, Inc wrote the WTO’s agreement on agriculture. As a result, India, the largest producer of oilseeds and pulses, has become the biggest importer of both these produce...

The junk food industry wrote the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures (SPS) agreement of WTO...

Those citations provide a nutshell reference that demonstrates what is being built with these phony "trade" agreements. The purpose is quite explicitly to distort Lincoln's famous quote:

That global government "Of the people, By the corporations, For the corporations" shall not perish from this Earth.

If only most people had a clear grasp of the purpose and results of this project of global corporate governance.

"Our freedoms, she reminds us, are with grass and trees, with wildness and self-organisation............"

And always have been.

I am renewed and inspired by the work of the brilliant and big-hearted Vandana Shiva.

Look Honey, Santa brought you a Monsanto Puppy.

That would be Stein/Baraka.

"It's time for the 60% of Americans who say we need a new major party to stand up for our right to open debates. Sign the petition to show your support for opening up the debates."

As of now, Jill2016 has 72,898 signatures. We need to hurry up and get the other 27,000+ signatures before the first presidential debate scheduled for September 26, 2016.

http://www.jill2016.com/openthedebatespetition

Clinton-Trump debate sites plan for a third podium. With third-party candidates hovering near the threshold, the debate commission advises hosts to consider a bigger stage.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/debates-clinton-trump-johnson-stein-226806#ixzz4GxI0lXWq

"Our freedoms, she reminds us, are with grass and trees, with wildness and self-organisation (swaraj), when the dominant economic systems would tear down every tree and round up the last blade of grass." All so true and my vision, at least in my imagination is as follows:

It's not possible to even get a start on solving the most critically important problems without first understanding what those problems are. We can't address world crises as long as we ignore the crises we created/allowed right here in the US. In the US, it's not about "the 1% vs. the 99%." We have become a rigidly class-based society, rich vs. middle class vs. poor. As much as it ruffles some feathers to point this out, we're watching right now as the rich do to the middle class what the middle class already did to the poor.

We aren't going to push back against our corporate dictatorship because we are 100% dependent on it. They provide virtually all US jobs, and we have no mercy on those who are left out, jobless and impoverished. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 jobless people who still have the means to pursue one (home address, phone, etc.), and actual welfare ended back in the 1990s. There's nothing to fall back on. Few of us can afford to risk rocking the boat.

And of course, because we have been so successfully divided and subdivided by class and race, pitted against each other, this generation can't organize to push back.

How many US jobs does Monsanto provide?

Why do you ask?

How many farmers have committed suicide due to Monsanto driving them out of business?

Nothing new. This has been going on for decades. Consider how hyper-dependent Americans are on our handful of oil corporations. Our politics, our society, our lives, are defined by corporate powers today. And our survival depends on them, and the jobs they create.

Same reason you asked, I guess. Curiosity. Monsanto is one of a number of "big ag" corporations that have been driving people off their farms since the 1980s, resulting in escalating suicide rates outside of urban areas.

How many does it take?

It is wonderful to see Dr. Shiva's work here at CD. Most of the resonance of what she does here is well off the virtual page, but I suppose that's inevitable, given the rest of her work.

Wandering between forums, I often see comments that "lifestyle anarchists" who retreat from the global economy cannot change things, and also that activists who engage politically but support their corporate opponents by their everyday economic existence cannot change things. I think that in a sense both are correct: neither action seems adequate by itself, and both should be complimentary together.

I often wonder how we are to fit these together. It seems, among other things, that the thinking between the two groups is often quite different.

Great piece on the global devastation of the TPP. See the post by Dave Johnson here on CD on TPP and sign the petition as one small step of resistance.

Thank you and thanks for the link, Jazzbo. It's sending me to YouTube, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxvBtu8G3s.

Here's to the Heartland. I am in the Mojave myself, and my cactus and mesquite are crops and not weeds.

I don't think our situation is hopeless at all, Jazzbo, only ominous and critical and misunderstood. Our rulers imagine wrongly that they and perhaps we are better off for their having power, and they sacrifice solutions to maintain and extend that. Left to do it, they will make the worst of almost every situation.

Honestly, I find solution for most all of this within and around the permaculture movement. It is quite clear how we may have grass and trees, and bushes and vines and ponds and streams and sweet, comfortable, herb-smelling homes as well. There is really no great sacrifice to make and no great pleasure to abjure to accomplish this.

However, the rulers of nation-states and the global economy provide a great obstacle. The usual response of post-manufacturing societies to small, independent economies is what we have called genocide.

We have to disassemble Western Society, and we are going to have to be fairly specific about it: it is explosive. I will compare it to disassembling a nuclear warhead, but in truth those will be but one small part of it.

Part of it, I think, is that we need the solidarity to not get shot or bombed as we construct a new economy, and we need the new economy to allow our dissenters to free themselves from the work-spend-owe cycle.

Our survival today may be, but humans survived for over 200,000 years on an earth 4.5 billion years old. We made art for over 40,000 years, practiced agriculture for 10,000 years, became civilized 6,000 years ago, and industrialization started a mere 100 plus years ago. How did humans survive for so many years without rapidly automating corporations and the disappearing jobs they used to provide?