Home | About | Donate

Free Speech Is No Diversion

Free Speech Is No Diversion

Conor Friedersdorf

In January of 1987, flyers distributed anonymously at the University of Michigan declared “open season” on black people, referring to them with the most disgusting racial slurs. “Shortly thereafter,” Catherine B. Johnson noted in a law journal article, “a student disc jockey for the campus radio station allowed racist jokes to be told on-air.

Well, without addressing the problems (which seem pretty minor to me) the author seems to have absolultely no concept of the right of free speech to me...

What do you mean "the author has no concept of free speech"? This is an incredibly nuanced and well-balanced articulation of the meaning and importance of free speech. Both as a right in itself, and the defense of such as effective praxis in the movement for racial justice and beyond.

If you in fact disagree, I would invite you to articulate your position in more detail so I may consider it. As it now stands, I am not able to parse any substance to your objection beyond ad hominem dismissal.

Does the First Amendment also include the right to be overly verbose?

The quote is not from this author but is a quote from ".. 2007. In the Yale Daily News, Joshua Cox and Sharifa Love ..." who are, I believe from a quick Google search, white and black respectively. Conor Friedersdorf has a nicely articulated article which covers a good deal of ground.

You are right hexkey, I was in a hurry when I read this article, and missed some of the author's key points and balanced thoughts...sorry.. :smile: