Home | About | Donate

Free the Free Press From Wall Street Plunder

Free the Free Press From Wall Street Plunder

Jim Hightower

A two-panel cartoon I recently saw showed a character with a sign saying: “First they came for the reporters.” In the next panel, his sign says: “We don’t know what happened after that.”

It was, of course, a retort to Donald Trump’s campaign to demonize the news media as “the enemy of the people.” But when it comes to America’s once-proud newspapers, their worst enemy isn’t Trump — nor is it the rising cost of newsprint or the “free” digital news on websites.

4 Likes

According to corporations & Donald Trump, freedom of the press means freedom only for Fox News, other conservative outlets , CNN &, MSNBC when they report news with conservative bias for example, letting Rick Santorum speak. I wish Jim Hightower could send Santorum & people like him back in time to the Tower of London to be beheaded.

3 Likes

Best wishes to Jim Hightower now the corporate thugs have sacrificed him.
After all, rapacious capitalism, at its very worst, cannot abide accurate, truthful reporting about its corrupted mechanisms. The rulers must rule, deserving of their undemocratic power, with full entitlements to create unemployment and urgent survival needs for millions while rolling in billions for themselves. It’s all part of their economic plan. But they still never have enough money and must further increase the inequality that will be everyones’ undoing.
Wakey wakey.

3 Likes

Can anyone imagine what would happen to Hightower’s sidekick - Molly Ivins - in today’s newspapers?

2 Likes

The same as happened to Ed Schultz, Phil Donohue, Thom Hartman, Jim Hightower, and, and, and, and on and on since 2003.

2 Likes

Our local newspaper does not print anything political. They are scared shitless of losing advertising. God forbid any Letters to the Editor that use critical thinking or what “if’s”. This idea is too confusing for those who only believe that in our town there only exists rainbows and butterflies.

We are in one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world and our population consists of very hard working people …mostly immigrants. And …I have seen personally at the city council meetings the hatred and malice aimed at people who should be admired for their bravery and perseverance and who put all of that beautiful food on our tables.

I want justice for these peoples and I am willing to stand at the front of the line to do that. Diversity is the saving grace of this planet.

Can anyone imagine what would happen to Helen Thomas if she were still alive and in the White House Press Corps?

Helen was the best! Unfortunately, in this day and age, she probably couldn’t even get a press pass as no paper or publisher would even hire her. Too honest doing her job as a journalist for the people!!