Home | About | Donate

Free Trade, DNC Platform and the Climate Crisis

Free Trade, DNC Platform and the Climate Crisis

Lukas Ross

The same day TransCanada sued the U.S. government for $15 billion, the Democratic Party’s platform drafting committee met in Missouri. Between the two, there is a lesson to be learned about free trade and the climate crisis.

Why all this fuss over the platform? Who is ever going read it after the final approval? What we need is action on climate change. Not some statements in a party platform. We need to lobby Congress to reject the TPP. That is what matters.

More proof of Regulatory Capture and the Redundant Revolving Door Syndrome:

"If Bill McKibben was chosen by Sanders as a progressive voice on climate, his alter ego appointed by Clinton is Carol Browner, a one-time Environmental Protection Agency administrator who splits her time these days between professional lobbying and pro-nuclear advocacy."

Like Big Insurance advocates serving on task forces designed to pursue the question, or Monsanto's clones determining Food Safety Standards, and so much else.

The U.S. govt. is now a subsidiary of The Big Banks, Big Industries, Big Pharma., and the MIC.

I've signed multiple petitions and written to Congress and my Reps and Senators.
It's true they will probably forget this quickly, but it does show the lack of willingness to try to change anything. The climate is the great equalizer and it will be marching over them and us alike. Wonder if they think they can avoid it?

Lady K: Whatever happened to putting campaign finance reform on the platform???

Thank you for posing that question!

Why are a handful of people deciding the platform for the entire party. I thought this was a democratic party!

Your statement is right out of the status quo. Yes, conventional wisdom evidenced by recent nominations, suggest that the platform means nothing. But that is at least in part because recent campaigns have had nothing to do with issues. Well, Bernie has been trying to change that. So fighting for what is in the platform and pointing out resistance to putting into the platform traditionally strong Dem positions is very relevant to push for political change on every front.

Sure lobby Congress to reject the TPP. Absolutely. But that doesn't mean you can't do other things too.

Hillary says that campaign finance laws are just fine the way they are.

I think writing to Congress and calling does matter, at least if it is about a particular bill. I am quite sure they count the number of constituents who are for and against bills. However, timing is important. Opinions matter most when a bill is being considered. Pressure from the public is important. On close votes it could make all the difference. If the TPP comes up for a vote labor and environmental organizations will be lobbying hard. There are sure to be street rallies. These organizations have been gearing up for years to the fight the TPP. Usually labor and environmentalists are on opposite sides but when they are on the same side that adds up to a lot of political power.

The 2016 Democratic Party Platform is just another anchor that is sinking the Dem Party. I read that five points were made by Sen. Sanders, and 10 by Clinton (five by Hillary Clinton, another five by the Clintons' poodle, D Wasserman Schultz). Either way, the Party's over.

Another perspective: The Dem voting base has long consisted of the "masses" -- poor and middle class, workers and the jobless, for the common good. This base was split wide apart by Bill Clinton. There were hopes that the years of this administration would serve toward repairing that split. It just didn't happen. Picking the most anti-poor, anti-Social Security Democrat available, Hillary Clinton, only made that split wider.

You can organize groups of middle classers to push for this or that policy, but where do you think the Dem Party itself can go with only the support of a slice of its voting base? Congress gets hit with truckloads of petitions every week. Change could only happen if masses of people agreed to an agenda, got to their feet, and demanded it from Congress. But it's like that revolution people like to talk about: Who can risk losing their jobs by taking off enough time to wage a revolution?

Democratic politicians have to be concerned if any part of their base is against something. But with regard to the TPP I think the biggest problem stopping it will be that it will probably be voted on during a lame duck session and getting enough Republican votes. The Democratic base will always be split because labor and environmentalists will always be split on certain issues. That is just something people have to live with. Nobody can satisfy both groups in many cases.

TPP is one issue that labor and environmentalists ARE NOT "split on".

The DNC and Clinton campaigns know that if the Party platform supports TPP, Clinton will have a built in excuse that she is just conforming to the Party's platform when she signs it, and I do believe her when she says she will be "ready on day one".