Home | About | Donate

"Frickin Illegal": Congressman Says Trump Has No Authority for Latest Bombing

Right you are. But nobody, to my recollection (?), said anything. Somebody new has said something.

I used to say "911 could have been prevented by the simple expedient of locked cockpit doors." What you suggest is the clearest and simplest solution.

The U.S. bombs other people's countries. China builds highways, sports stadiums and port facilities in other people's countries. Will be interesting to see how that all turns out later this century.

U.S. Presidents/Administrations without crimes would be a very short video indeed. (Even William Henry Harrison would probably not be exempt if his past military career was taken into account.)

Nothing malicious about it.

Perhaps next time you can make such distinctions while making a point, if it isn't too much trouble.

Yet again, no distinctions.

While ISIS and al-Qaeda do not represent a threat like Russia they are still a threat, not only to the US but countries in Europe, and of course countries in the Middle East. If ISIS had been allowed to keep extending its caliphate it would have potentially taken over every Arab country in the Middle East. A caliphate is very appealing is many Muslims and given the in tolerance that ISIS has expressed for all those who do not follow their brand of Islam certainly it represents a potential danger that is hard to imagine. The US has some important military capabilities to help stop ISIS and we have seen that this fight against ISIS has been pretty successful with the US involved. However, whatever happens to ISIS there still remains political problems in the Middle East that appear to be impossible. The battle between the Sunnis and Shiites remains a central problem with no obvious resolution. While I agree the US is too involved in that area I think it critical to prevent the establishment of a caliphate.

Yes.

I have seen numerous defenses of Assad here on commondreams, denial of his sarin attacks, denial of his atrocities in Aleppo - even calling the White Helmets a propaganda ploy. The Syrian left has been totally robbed of agency by the left in much of the world - kind of like the Spanish Civil War in reverse - the left siding with Franco, not the Republicans and the Catalonian anarcho-sindicalists.

Ill re-post this.

http://aljumhuriya.net/en/critical-thought/the-syrian-cause-and-anti-imperialism

If the FBI didn't invent Counterpunch to destroy the left, then Counterpunch is doing them a very valuable service.

Trump becomes the campaign insult he hurled at Obama: "the father of ISIS."

We of course we try to effect revolutionary change peacefully - but sometimes it doesn't work. It didn't work for those powered-wig aristocrat fake-revolutionaries in 1776 and it certainly did not work for the Syrian freedom-fighting left in 2011.

You do realize it's a civil war?

Have you done any study of the US Civil War?

Yes, just like it is a shill for refusing to discuss "alternative climate change theories" too. Do you want the scientists to also reconsider the Ptolimean geocentric universe?

It is as much a "civil war" as any uprising for freedom is, it started as a initially peaceful popular effort to overthrow the murderous (and also neoliberal and economically ruinous) Assad in 2011. But brutal repression and mass murders by Assad compelled the Syrians to take up arms in 2012 You know that, right?.

I'm not sure what the US civil war has to do with this - totally different situation.

What an idiot!

Exactly.
Just like the list of years the US hasn't been at war.

US bombing campaigns since WWII. The number is about 30 different sovereign nations bombed by the US. Maybe the statement by Congressman Lieu should be, the US has no authority outside the borders of the US, or mind your own business America.

[quote="LibWingofLibWing, post:50, topic:41797"]
Yes.

Thanks for the link. I haven't made it over to CounterPunch, yet, this evening. Don't expect Yunzer to pay any attention to this material. He and others like Vox are so wedded to MSM-land that it's a waste of time to try to interact with them.

It's interesting to me that the author, Daniel Martin, mentions journalist Caitlin Johnstone several times.

If you haven't read the following Johnstone article and listened to Johnstone's conversation with Vanessa Beeley that's available in the second article, please consider doing so.

How To Fight The Establishment Propaganda Machine And Win -- May 18, 2017 -- Catlin Johnstone -- Greanvillepost (Orginally published May 4, 2017 on Medium.com)

"…the single best way to take down the oligarchy is by aggressively and relentlessly attacking its propaganda engine.”
==

The Syria cauldron, interview with Journalist Vanessa Beeley [podcast] -- May 18, 2017 -- Caitlin Johnstone -- Greanvillepost

Vanessa Beeley is an independent investigative war correspondent who has been one of the very few on-the-ground western journalists reporting from Syria. I first came across Vanessa on Ron Paul’s liberty report back in December talking about the fall of Aleppo, and she was saying such mind-boggling things about the real situation in Syria that I could hardly believe it. The information she had gathered conflicted 180 degrees with what we’d been getting fed from the western media. It was quite astonishing.With the current situation in the Idlib province and Trump escalating tensions, I thought it would be a great time to sit down with Vanessa and get the lowdown on what’s really going on in Syria.