Home | About | Donate

'Frightening Milestone': Scientists Sound Alarm Over Record Amount of Open, Iceless Sea in the Arctic

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/22/frightening-milestone-scientists-sound-alarm-over-record-amount-open-iceless-sea

1 Like

What can be said?
It’s way too late to alleviate the worst of global warming.
I am 57 years old. Before I die it looks as though I will perhaps witness the fall of Man. Normally that wouldn’t cause me any stress or melancholy. However, when we go we will be taking a large chunk of the life forms on this planet with us.

2 Likes

It looks like the intrusion of warm Atlantic waters is related to the lack of pack ice. Any natural friction between the ice pack and the seawater below is gone. Moreover, prevailing wind currents on an ice-free ocean can create waves that drive steady currents of water. We have another positive feedback loop.

I’m an inventor. I’d rather be a climate change inventor and have nobody listen to me than not be a climate change inventor at all. As I see it, working on climate is not at all futile. I recommend restoring the Arctic Ocean’s ice pack using wind-powered pumps that augment ice formation in the Arctic winter. If you want to see that gadget it’s at ~http://klinkmansolar.com/arctic.htm My ballpark price tag is $10 billion per year until the planet gets back under 300 ppm of greenhouse gases.

Given a reasonable chance of mass survival at $1 per year per person on earth, versus chronic worldwide agricultural failures most likely leading to mass starvation, I wouldn’t think too long. If you asked me, I’d go with the one buck deal. It’s a bargain.

So, the question is, do we have the political will to not collectively go right off the edge of the cliff and then expect to tiptoe back on the air to be on the cliff again?

1 Like

The party that rode on the platform of family values has cynically and knowingly polluted our only home. Their progeny will suffer along with everyone else on the planet because as the Cree prophecy goes, in the end, you can’t eat money. President Carter was on top of this and then the buffoonery began in earnest.

3 Likes

Yes, you cannot eat money or gold…And … when the store shelves are empty and the fields are barren, all the money in the world will not matter…

2 Likes

Hi PaulK:
Oh this sounds awful—but the first thing I thought of were drowning poor bears. : (

2 Likes

There are some things and times in this world where “I’m sorry, I should have listened better” won’t do. This is one of those times.
The entire climate change issue has been mismanaged. No one can deny the fact that mankind has been pumping exhaust from machines into the atmosphere for the past 150 years. This is altering the composition of the atmosphere, and not for the better.
Anyone who has ever raised fish in an aquarium knows how delicate that ecosystem is.
Well the Earth is our aquarium and the atmosphere is the water we all need to exist.
I personally feel it is too late as we have selfish children in charge.
Best of luck to what comes next.

3 Likes

Fat Freddy, brother of Phineas Freak, said “you can’t smoke your money”!

Some humans are certainly a blight on this Earth: supporters of, and, The Flaming Orange Satan Chump tRump.

If you want to geo-engineer, maybe nuclear war is the way to go.

Here is a concise list of all the things dump and his cohorts have done to aid the demise of our world:

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2020/oct/20/trump-us-dirtier-planet-warmer-75-ways

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/gallery/2020/oct/13/the-great-thaw-global-heating-upends-life-on-arctic-permafrost-photo-essay

See for yourself.

- "The Great Waves Prophecy"

"The question will surely arise: What can you expect regarding the Great Waves of change?

Specifically, what will take place will be determined in part by humanity’s ability to respond and to prepare. What will take place is that the world will become warmer, producing greater loss of food production and great scarcity of water resources in many places in the world while there will be tremendous flooding in other places. Energy resources will diminish, creating economic upheaval and in some places even collapse.

Large areas of the world that are now highly inhabited will become uninhabitable, as it will be impossible to grow food there due to lack of water. There will be immense migrations of people away from such areas and away from areas of conflict. There will be environmental refugees, and there will be war refugees on a scale never seen before.

There will be a great risk of pandemic illness that will arise out of deteriorating conditions, particularly in large urban areas. Many people may perish. It will be an immense and traumatic set of events."
…resonated from the -- "The Great Waves Prophecy"