Home | About | Donate

From Charleston to Orlando, Sanctuary and Struggle in the South

From Charleston to Orlando, Sanctuary and Struggle in the South

Chris Kromm

A historic church in Charleston, a vibrant nightclub in Orlando. On the surface, the two places may seem entirely different. But for the faithful who have come to "Mother Emanuel" A.M.E., one of the largest and oldest black congregations in the South, and Pulse, an LGBT bar founded in 2004 to honor the owner's brother who died of AIDS, both institutions have played a similar role. Both had been safe spaces, sanctuaries to build community in a hostile environment.

The fact that Dylan's out burst wasn't outrightly labeled as terrorism really gripes me. He did it specifically to terrorize people. What does a white boy have to do to actually be called a terrorist? Or does being white automatically exempt them from ever being labelled as a terrorist? Is this more of the same white boy murican excpetionalism? He's a freeking terrorist! Lock him up with Bubba and throw in a bottle of KY! To my knowledge, McViegh wasn't even labelled as a terrorist! (I was living out in the woods during the McVeigh thing so I wouldn't really know)

Maybe especially in the South, but unfortunately not only there.