Home | About | Donate

From 'Depleted' Food Stores to Understaffed Health Clinics, Indigenous Communities 'Among Hardest Hit' by Trump Shutdown

From 'Depleted' Food Stores to Understaffed Health Clinics, Indigenous Communities 'Among Hardest Hit' by Trump Shutdown

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Adding to the long and ever-growing list of harmful consequences stemming from President Donald Trump's government shutdown—from hundreds of thousands of furloughed workers to gutted food stamps offices to trashed public parks—the New York Times

The Indigenous Peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been “hard hit” since the European colonial invasions hit the hemisphere in the 15th and 16th centuries, initiating a genocidal process that goes on until this day. At one time in the Pre-Columbian Era there were tens of millions of human beings living between the Atlantic and Pacific. By 1900, about 900,000 survived inside the borders of the U.S.

Attributing this to the filth that is Trump is the cheapest kind of political opportunism by U.S. “progressives.”

For actual thoughtfulness, check out former Green VP candidate Winona La Duke:

Can we please arrange to have these Native Americans take Trump’s scalp?

Adam Johnson is right. These political games always affect the poorest of the poor to the greatest degree; and the “meritocracy” couldn’t care less, snug in their comfortable homes in safe neighborhoods, with full bellies and fat portfolios. What a lousy country this is.

Class warfare is real. It is serious. If history is any guide, this society, as presently constructed, cannot and will not survive. The rot runs deep.

Nighthawk,

We are in agreement about how lousy our governance is, however, I am a bit more optimistic about our survivability chances than you state here.

Perhaps 2019 will turn out to be a year unlike the last two.

Perhaps.

I share your sentiment, but not the distorted cultural reference. The taking of scalps originated among whites, who used them as proof that they were owed a bounty for the killing of indigenes. It wasn’t until white scalps were taken in retaliation that it became an atrocity.

I apologize for the distorted implications.

Being cute sometimes doesn’t work.

There’s that fuzz again.

From Wikipedia:

This is from an article about the crow creek massacre. As it occurred in the 1300s, it seems highly unlikely that scalping was something the Europeans introduced to the Americas.
I’d like to see the source that you have that disproves or calls into question the archaeological evidence.

With all due respect, it seems as though you may have been sold a tall tale.

According to Dee Brown’s “Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee,” the practice of taking scalps “may or may not have been introduced by Europeans,” but he leaves no doubt that the Navajo (Dine) found the practice barbaric, and that they believed it originated with the Spanish.

There is also no serious scholarship—which, with all due respect, Wikipedia is not—that disputes the taking of scalps by Europeans as a means of collecting bounties; not just by the Spanish, but by Dutch, English and French colonizers as well, even before the birth of the USA.

To the extent that scalping was practiced by First Nations tribes, it may have been done in the same sense as counting coup, for example in a skirmish between neighbors. But as practiced by Europeans, there is no other plausible interpretation than that it was part of a campaign of terrorism, ethnic cleansing and genocide.